Coolant leak but no sign of leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak but no sign of leak

Fordman999

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
So I have a very slow coolant leak and I've gotten under the car and I do not see a single hose that has any sign of coolant leaking. I've followed the hose from the coolant fill and coolant return lines and no sign of any coolant. Anyone have any idea where this coolant is leaking from possibly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your passenger floor board wet or discolored carpet? Also is your exhaust clean and clear or is it lightly tinted white and smells kinda sweet?

If you live in a spot that is cold in the winter, you can get very small leaks around many of the hose connections. Most of these just have spring clamps that don't hold very tightly and the change in size of metal parts that happens in the cold can cause these connections to be a bit leaky untill the system warms up. These are generaly very small and nothing you would notice visually (like a puddle on the ground), but you do lose coolant over time. Some of this would depend on how fast your coolant is dissapearing. I would check all of the other sugestions first because there is nothing much you can do about the leaky spring clamps ofter than moving to Arizona for the winter. Also, if the coolant is winding up in your engine and going out your tailpipe, there may be much bigger fish to fry.

If you don't live somewhere cold, well, nevermind.

LMHmedchem

i'll check that I do have a bad catalytic converter now could it be related??

Which engine OP? Browsed through your 50 past posts and couldn't find anything.

If 4.0 SOHC check the lower thermostat housing. Very common failure on the SOHC V-6.

Sticky: Add Complete Vehicle Specs To Your Profile ;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375816

thanks I will add my info and I do have a V6 SOHC I hope that's the problem. Also my Catalytic converter went bad was wondering if coolant does leak into the engine how is that possible? I suspect that also might be the problem after reading some other replies. I will try the thermostat first but how can I verify that the coolant might be leaking into the engine? if it is?

Rather than chasing your tail searching for coolant leaks, borrow a coolant pressure test kit available at most larger auto parts stores. Call around. Pay the refundable deposit in cash if you don't want to wait 5-7 days for your bank to process the refund when you return the tool. Also, thanks for adding your vehicle specs. Keep us posted.

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/g-05-antifreeze-coolant

Also my Catalytic converter went bad was wondering if coolant does leak into the engine how is that possible?
Sorry guys, completely missed this. Was the engine over heated? If so, sounds like classic head gasket failure. Is the engine oil a milky white color, or do you have excessive water or vapor coming from the exhaust? If so, start by checking compression. Although lower thermostat housing failure is common and could be the cause of over heating, it's a minor repair compared to head gasket failure.

Nope but you are on the right track

Sorry guys, completely missed this. Was the engine over heated? If so, sounds like classic head gasket failure. Is the engine oil a milky white color, or do you have excessive water or vapor coming from the exhaust? If so, start by checking compression. Although lower thermostat housing failure is common and could be the cause of over heating, it's a minor repair compared to head gasket failure.

swshawaii the engine did not overheat. I think it might be the thermostat housing since that is a common problem and you were right by guessing V6 SOHC engine so yeaah I'm gonna check that.

Back