Coolant leak

haphop

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000XLT 5.0
2000 5.0 XLT 190k mi

I'm losing a small amount of coolant that appears to be going out the tail pipe. As I have a little bite of white smoke and after 5 min the pavement under the pipe will be wet.

Will stop leak fix it? Pros/Cons to using stop leak or similar. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it as I had planned to trade it in 12 months.

Is this a common problem in 5.0 with high miles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would avoid using any kind of stop leak. I had a small leak somewhere and tried stop leak last fall, and while I was on a trip in VT, the engine quickly overheated and I ended up blowing the whole engine.

I determined that the stop leak didn't fix the leak (which was in the head gasket, so the coolant was leaking into the engine in small amounts) but what it did do was clog the hose that goes from the radiator to the overflow tank.

The coolant level dropped in the radiator, which caused the overheating, but I never noticed since the level in the overflow tank never went down! The $5 bottle of stop leak ended up cosgint $2000 for a new (used) engine. The engine that I got had 80,0000 miles on it, and I am going through about a quart of coolant a month, but I'd rather chek frequently than take another chance!

I would avoid using any kind of stop leak. I had a small leak somewhere and tried stop leak last fall, and while I was on a trip in VT, the engine quickly overheated and I ended up blowing the whole engine.

I determined that the stop leak didn't fix the leak (which was in the head gasket, so the coolant was leaking into the engine in small amounts) but what it did do was clog the hose that goes from the radiator to the overflow tank.

The coolant level dropped in the radiator, which caused the overheating, but I never noticed since the level in the overflow tank never went down! The $5 bottle of stop leak ended up cosgint $2000 for a new (used) engine. The engine that I got had 80,0000 miles on it, and I am going through about a quart of coolant a month, but I'd rather chek frequently than take another chance!
That is because you did not flush it out.

You are supposed to flush out the stop leak after repairing the leak. Instructions on the bottle.

I would try " liquid glass" stop leak. I have found this at Autozone, but no other locations in my area.

sealup.jpg

If you use it according to the instructions it will work great. Just be sure to turn the AC on while using it to prevent the sealant from going to the heater core, as it may clog it.

I've seen this product seal a leak which was dripping to the ground. I would sure try this before pulling a head.

Yesterday morn it was cool when I started up and for 15 min there was a steady drip from the bottom of the radiator passenger side. I could not see up in there well enough to see where it was coming from. It wasn't from the hoses or the drain valve. so, maybe that was just condensate coming out the pipe.

Today after start up it did get wet and leaked a couple of drops but it was not steady. It was a lot warmer this morning, don't know if that was a factor. Just won't think a radiator would have an intermittent leak but that appears to be what it's doing.

Gad what was the brand of stop leak you used? Searching the internet there is plenty of mixed opinions on using the stuff. Some are happy with it others say never. I seen Bars Stop Leak in Auto Zone that has about 5 different solutions and claim it won't hurt anything.To leave it in.

I would think that if the stuff was harmful there would have been plenty of lawsuits and Auto Zone won't be carrying it.

It was Bars that I used. It got into the overflow tank hose and flushing didn't clear that plug out.

Lol!!!!!

That is because you did not flush it out.

You are supposed to flush out the stop leak after repairing the leak. Instructions on the bottle.

I would try " liquid glass" stop leak. I have found this at Autozone, but no other locations in my area.

sealup.jpg

If you use it according to the instructions it will work great. Just be sure to turn the AC on while using it to prevent the sealant from going to the heater core, as it may clog it.

I've seen this product seal a leak which was dripping to the ground. I would sure try this before pulling a head.

NO, the reason his motor blew was because he used your magic potion you are pushing... Anyone that works on cars knows there is no magic potion... Potions are for people that dont have the know how to pull parts apart and do a PROPER REPAIR... that and for car lots to temp fix a car to sale to a unfortunate soul... And yes it will clog you heater core... and restrict other areas in the system... or clog them.. The only additive I use is fuel stabilizer and that's only in my boat, motor cycle, lawn mower or anything else that I will be storing over time so the gas dont go too bad and when I pull the carb off to clean it the following season before i start it it wont be as bad... notice I said AS BAD, as fuel stabilizer is not a magic potion either.... I still did the proper work... You people make me sick with you magic potions that blow people's motor up. Do us all a favor and educate yourself a lil more or at least get a lil more experience instead of comparing you experience to the ONE time you have used or do something once. I only created an account cause I saw the crap you posted and had to call your BS... So dont worrie about deleting my account cause Im not gonna use it any more...Do us all a favor and get off the web with your crap.

NO, the reason his motor blew was because he used your magic potion you are pushing... Anyone that works on cars knows there is no magic potion... Potions are for people that dont have the know how to pull parts apart and do a PROPER REPAIR... that and for car lots to temp fix a car to sale to a unfortunate soul... And yes it will clog you heater core... and restrict other areas in the system... or clog them.. The only additive I use is fuel stabilizer and that's only in my boat, motor cycle, lawn mower or anything else that I will be storing over time so the gas dont go too bad and when I pull the carb off to clean it the following season before i start it it wont be as bad... notice I said AS BAD, as fuel stabilizer is not a magic potion either.... I still did the proper work... You people make me sick with you magic potions that blow people's motor up. Do us all a favor and educate yourself a lil more or at least get a lil more experience instead of comparing you experience to the ONE time you have used or do something once. I only created an account cause I saw the crap you posted and had to call your BS... So dont worrie about deleting my account cause Im not gonna use it any more...Do us all a favor and get off the web with your crap.

I agree it is not a fix all, however in some rare cases it will work to seal small leak. It has been reported by members here to fix heater core leaks if used in the manner they provided. While I do agree with most of your statement, there is no need for such anger in a first post. Take care-:D

Me thinks sumbioth has a problem. I have used, and continue to use stop leak in my 96 4.0 OHV. I have NOT had any problems, so far. But if I do, I surely have enough experience to pull the motor and completely overhaul it. Money is the problem, not experience. And, I might add, I have heard that the manufacturer uses block sealer. I do not know this to be fact though. The water glass or egg preserver is also a good product. I have used that in aluminum blow molds.

Back