Coolant System Problems on 1st Gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant System Problems on 1st Gen Explorer

niteklub79

Reaction score
City, State
CORPUS CHRISTI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 base auto 2wd
Hello All,

I use this site constantly and often, but I was a little dismayed that I couldn't find any comprehensive coolant system diagnostics. (hopefully I can help)...

I have a 1993 (first gen) Ford Explorer- 4.0L 6 cylinder - 4WD- Eddie Bauer edition

Anyways, heres my problem - About 3 months ago I replaced my radiator after a severe crack- my engine ran great and it was keeping cool. The other day I was at a filling station and noticed a large coolant loss puddling next to my driver side front tire. After pulling off the pad, I did a quick inspection and though I narrowed the culprit down to the water outlet/thermostat housing.

When I got home I replaced the water outlet (its a formed piece of steel pipe that holds the thermostat) the thermostat and all the gaskets. after letting the gaskets cure, i refilled the coolant system and started 'er up. everything was ok until i put the heat on and revved the engine (about 2000 rpms). I recheck to make sure that there were no leaks- and there were leaks. coming from about the same spot as before- I now suspect the water pump and I am going to attempt to change it this week.

I was wondering if there could be other areas that may be causing the leak- it seems to be coming from the center of the engine above the cam and above the fan(hence the water pump suspect).

Any tips/suggestions?

Well, just one thing, a little side note if you will. You don't have to use gasket maker on these, the one they come with (or you buy), the big rubber o'ring you put around the edges is all you need. Someone before me had used gasket maker on mine, and it gunked up the whole system. Just FYI. :)

ok cool, I think i may have to take off the water outlet again, so i'll just clean all that stuff off of there...

Back