Looking to fix minor under the car rust. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to fix minor under the car rust.

dramsey66208

Reaction score
City, State
Prairie Village KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Ford explorer Sport. I live in Kansas. We get a lot of snow and they salt the roads all the time. Im seeing a little bit of rust showing up on the under side of my explorer. I was wondering if anyone knows what i can use to help get rid of the rust and help it from not getting worse next winter.

Im wondering if applying a rubber under coating or hitting the ares with a wire brush and using a can of rustolium will help? Any advice will be great. If you know of any brands, pleas let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it is a good idea to remove as much rust as possible with a wire brush, sandpaper, grinding disc, etc etc. And then prime the area before pain, might even consider a rust converter type primer to kill off that rust/corrosion because if any remains it will rust back twice as bad in no time flat.

I'm going to be fixing some minor rust that is starting on the bottom of my doors and stuff, I plan to clean it up, mask it off, prime it up and then get a can of the color paint of my truck and paint that on there, may not match perfectly with 214k miles and 12 years of fade but it looks a million times better than rusty cancerous crap.
I have used a little strip of undercoating on the bottom to cover up some ugly rust on the rockers of certain cars, kind of looks like a rock chip guard. :)

There are any number of rust converter paints on the markey. Although I have not used any of them yet, I have the same problem with my 96 EX. Wal Mart has rust converter paint in the automotive section, so does Ace hardware. Do a search, you will find some more. Eastwood has many types of rust treatment available, albiet a bit more pricey. Let us know what you come up with.

Eastwood, Por-15, or Rust Bullet. Those are your best bets- the stuff they sell at WalMart, PepBoys, or the like don't do anything. Rust will still reappear in a few months if you use them.

I used wal-mart's generic rustoleum. After 14 years inland in FL there was just a little surface rust on the frame rails, and I wanted to make her look pretty.

Think i figured it out

Well in all my research and all of the readings, I think im going with Eastwood Black Rust Encapsulator. Ill use a wire brush before i put it on for protection. I figure 2 coats will work. Then ill spray a Chassis Black spray after. Should work fine for what is there.

my favorite rust treatment is POR-15 --- its the real deal.

Back