• Register Today It's free!

Corrosion on alloy rims

jbsport01

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
I live in Chicago and have a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT with the 17" rims. I have been getting some white corrosion around the center caps of the rims. It looks like white blisters. I had Ford replace the rims about 13 months ago under warranty. The new rims are now starting corrode again. I wash and wax the rims every week in the winter, but the corrosion keeps coming back. Ford will not replace the new rims because I am out of the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty for the replacement parts. Any suggestions on how to stop this corrosion? Any way to remove this corrosion?
Thanks.

I live in Chicago and have a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT with the 17" rims. I have been getting some white corrosion around the center caps of the rims. It looks like white blisters. I had Ford replace the rims about 13 months ago under warranty. The new rims are now starting corrode again. I wash and wax the rims every week in the winter, but the corrosion keeps coming back. Ford will not replace the new rims because I am out of the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty for the replacement parts. Any suggestions on how to stop this corrosion? Any way to remove this corrosion?
Thanks.

I used one of the magic erasers to clean my wheels and it removed some of the corrosion, but not all of it. They definitely look better. Can't remember who makes it, but it's available in the household cleaner isle of just about any store.

Thanks.

Peeling clear coat. Blast and redo.

Back