• Register Today It's free!

Couple worries with my 2002

DCFireMedic

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4
I recently bought a 02 XLT 4x4 used and i have a few worries that I want to get clarified by you guys. Overall my truck runs good and gets better mileage than my 96. These are just little things that bother me.

First of all, it seems like it takes a long time for the truck to get up to operating temp.

Second, the fan, or something, seems a bit noisy. Sounds like somethings wrong (i know its not, but its irritating)

Third, the heat/ac controls, it seems like its not directing the heat to defrost or floor the way it should be. It also seems like the fan isnt putting out like it should.

Are these issues that everyone seems to be having? If so, or not, does anybody have any recommendations for these "problems"

Thanks in advance

OJM, FF/Paramedic

How many miles are your Vehicle? My '00 takes awhile to warm up, not too long, but long enough. If you have a good amount of miles on the truck, may want to consider a thermostat change.

-Drew

DCFireMedic said:
Third, the heat/ac controls, it seems like its not directing the heat to defrost or floor the way it should be. It also seems like the fan isnt putting out like it should.

Thats funny... the very reason I came to these forums is to see if anyone had the same problem I have, it sounds as you might.

I dont have a problem with the air flow, but rather direction. No matter what setting I put my heat on, I feel quite a bit of heat come from the floor heat vents. Even if I put it on just defrost or vents.

This bugs the crap out of me because my feet usually are hot iand it bugs me to have hot air on them.

Is this just a Ford thing? or is something off in my heat system?

You aren't alone. Our '03 XLT has the same problem. When the fan setting is on low there is little airflow thru the vents. If I want ggod flow I have to run the fan on the #3 setting. Then it is loud. I took it to the dealer and the problem was diagnosed as the blend door. They want over $900 to fix it. Mostly labor. Dash has to come out to get to the plenum. They claim it is not covered under our warranty. (Ford Certified) Even though the problem began before the factory warranty ran out, and they attempted to fix it twice. Big pain in the butt. :mad:

Back