• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Fix ?

dolphans1

Reaction score
City, State
Lone Star
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have 94 Ford Explorer and the cruise control does not work. Any tips that might help bring about an easy fix? It does not set/turn on and I feel that I checked the proper fuse to make sure it is not blwon. Any easy trouble shooting techniques?

Thanks,

d-1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check all the vacume lines?

I Looked around

DanShrader said:
Did you check all the vacume lines?

I looked around the engine compartment area and nothing appears to be diconnected. I even checked to see if the rear brake lights come on. The switches at the steering wheel column feel good when you press them down, but nothing happens when I try to turn it in the ON position and engage it.

My fuel gauge does not work and I assume its the sending unit that's out, but do not believe it is connected to same circuit as the cruise control is.

d-1

There's a black square looking thing by the brake booster. That's the cruise system. On mine that was bad. Once replaced, my cruise worked fine.

Jason94sport said:
There's a black square looking thing by the brake booster. That's the cruise system. On mine that was bad. Once replaced, my cruise worked fine.

You mean in the engine compartment? or under the dash?

d-1

the brake booster is under the hood, which inturn is where the cruise control stuff is. About the vaccum lines, they don't have to be just disconnected - they can suck holes through them and all types of stuff. Good luck.

-Drew

cruise

I see a roundish oval shaped black box mounted on the driver side inner fender. It appears to have a throttle cable going to this same box and to the throttle control linkage. I assume this is it?

Was this part easy to disconnect and do you recall how much you paid for it?

Or can it be repaired or rebulit?

The hoses attached to it do not appear to have any holes in them. The hoses look like new to me. Don't appear to have any cracks in them.

d-1

ExplorerDMB said:
the brake booster is under the hood, which inturn is where the cruise control stuff is. About the vaccum lines, they don't have to be just disconnected - they can suck holes through them and all types of stuff. Good luck.

-Drew

Back