• Register Today It's free!

cruise control problem

garagedog369

Reaction score
City, State
egan south dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer 4 wheel
i hopeing that some out thier can send me to the right place. my cruice control does not wprk on my new to me explorer. a 1994 explorer. none of the books i.ve looked in, can tell how to diagnose my cruise control. can some one point me the right way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can pop the cover off your steering wheel and make sure everything is connected electrically. You can also unscrew your cruise control buttons and inspect them for any damage. You will be able to see if anything happens when you push the buttons down.
Its hard to explain, you will be able to see if there is contact between the bottom and the electrical contact its pressing on. When my cruise control went out i replaced the bottons with a junk yard pair and it fixed it for me.

Agreed with gloomis and mehedgec. It is usually the Cruise Control Amplifier, a small, colored electrical module located behind the glove box. Fixed the problem for me!

Speed sensor here. They come apart some times.

I would have to say I agree with every one here but I would start with the speed sensor then move to the buttons and so forth. I know on our car if the buttons get dirty they will stop working and cleaning them always gets them working again. Never has had a problem on the X so can not speak directly on it.

I know this thread is old but I'll add to it anyway. I had the same problem with the cruise control. I found a couple of bad solder connections in the module/amp that I re-soldered, and discovered that the grease used in the circular contact tracks behind the steering wheel dried up to a hard wax created an insulating layer between the metal tracks and the spring-loaded pins. I cleaned off the old grease using mineral spirits and Q-tips and reapplied a good quality electrical grease - sparingly. Now it is as good as new.

I know this thread is old but I'll add to it anyway. I had the same problem with the cruise control. I found a couple of bad solder connections in the module/amp that I re-soldered, and discovered that the grease used in the circular contact tracks behind the steering wheel dried up to a hard wax created an insulating layer between the metal tracks and the spring-loaded pins. I cleaned off the old grease using mineral spirits and Q-tips and reapplied a good quality electrical grease - sparingly. Now it is as good as new.

Good info, thanks for posting!

Shoooooot!

Word play has been my issue:

The Ford manual refers to the module behind the glove box as the "transducer"

And the part that is integrated into the actuator as the "amplifier"

And that is how the part is listed! (CRUISE CONTROL TRANSDUCER)

Arrhhhhhgggg! Now I get it!

Back