• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control

Robrt32

Reaction score
City, State
Sledge Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
I been trying to figure out my problem..It doesn't activate at all, nothing. I changed the switches last weekend. I find no fuses blown or vacume leaks...I was reading on here and saw the dump valve mentioned.. I went and looked. I find nothing around my pedal but the brake light switch.. I found a small black box looking thing that somebody had zip tied up.. It that it? Would anybody happen to have a picture of the Dump valve?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never mind guys... I went back out looking and think i found the problem or atleast a starting point... The vacume that goes over the motor is not there.. After further inspection the nipple it hooks to on the cc motor is broken off... I will get one at the pick and pull this weekend....

OK AFTER FURTHER inspection... Its not a broken nipple and the vacume hose IS running over to the motor... I guess I'm leaning towards the cc module? thats behind the glove box? What does it look like?

does the horn work??

if the horn is out, there is a possibilty of the clock spring in the column being bad.

horn works, all brake lights work... found the dump valve made sure its touching right.....

I'm having the exact same problems with my Explorer as well. Checked the same things as you did etc. Kinda interested if you got it repaired. The thing about the module has me interested... I didn't know that there was a module for the cruise. I was under the assumption that it was all in one under the hood.

I read in another thread there was one behind the glove box... I was kinda hoping for confirmation of that from somebody here before tomorrow.... I will be headed to the junk yard then.....

Hi Robrt32,

I had my CC module replaced several years ago and it still works great. Got mine used from E Bay for about $20. I was tired of trouble shooting. It took me about 5 minutes to replace. This CC module is located above the glove box. Just squeez the two sides of the glove box and pop it out. Be sure to take everything out of the glove box. I believe the CC is secured w/ a phillips head screw. Good luck ! Keep us posted.

Thanks...... I will get one tomorrow...

YUP! It's a green module with two plug in harnesses. It's held in with two 7mm head bolt/screws. Got one from the wreckers for ten bucks, changed it and it all works now. And to think I was procrastinating repairing it because I thought it was a broken wire.

WHEW, I got to the yard yesterday and had no idea what the CC module looked like but the green box looked like it had to be it!! COOL, I was worried i got something else... I'm fixing to go put her on!..I got front and back bumpers, The CC module, 2 rubber door seals for the front, both inside door latches for the back doors and a AFM for my Toyota , ALL for a 100 bucks.... I am pleased with Pull a Part

ahh......got to love pull-a-part ....walked out of there with new ash tray ,interior panle that goes under the steering wheel ,seat leg bolster,door lock switch,1 roof rack and a rear window weather strpping ...arms full of stuff all for $25 .

Well whats left? That didn't change a thing...They really made this hard to trouble shoot by not putting a light... I don't have any idea if its turning on.. Could not be even getting power..

The cruise control wont engage if the VSS is reporting the vehicles speed wrong.

Checking speed against my 03 Ranger they match

On the Dump Valve... I see the little button but the Threaded plastic body that the button sticks through, Its not suppose to have a nut on it?? I can pull it down but the brake petal pushes it right back up? How is suppose to be secured?

I believe there is a mechanical element to the VSS as well as an electronic output too. I think the cruise control works off of the electronic signal, meaning, even if the mechanical gauge is ok, the electronic portion could be screwed.

I am really interested in seeing how this pans out. My 94 has the same issue and I can't figure out why.

Might be a good idea for me to check the CC module in the glove compartment.

Sure would have been nice if I had gotten this fixed before heading to Dallas :banghead:

Ok i been reading some more... My speedo works but it does bounce if i hit a bump in the road sometimes and with my CC not working. I think I'm gonna eliminate the VSS next.. Anybody have a guess on what they might cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It went to working this morning.... I decided to try it for the hell of it and it worked... The module has definitely help something.... I'm sure it will stop again but it works now...

Back