Cruise Control

2stroke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Annandale, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer Sport
Since I was getting no response on the under the hood section of the forum, I'll ask here. I want to take the cruise control from my 94 explorer, and put it in my 94 b4000. I've got the actuator in, and vacuum lines hooked up. Whats left is all the electrical. It seems not a lot of people go this route, and yes I have looked into getting an aftermarket setup. It just seems like a waste when I have a perfectly good working system for free. To the best of my knowledge, all I need is the buttons on the steering wheel, the module, and the wires to hook it all together. I will be getting a new steering wheel with the buttons, or use the one from the explorer. I just don't want to put a ford logo in a mazda, even if the mazda is 100% a ford.:D I did not crawl under the dash to look, but from the best of research I could do, the cruise control module (amplifier) looks like a black box similar to the door chime. Is it really as simple as that? I might have to splice into the brake switch, but other than that, how much of it is just plug in? From the best wiring diagram I found (bronco) Its all connected together, and the only inputs are the steering wheels switches, brake switch, and the speed sensor. I am opting not to splice into the clutch switch. Anyone else do something similar to theirs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was tempted to do this when I swapped out the steering shaft. Got mine from a XLT Ranger with cruise. I looked around and couldn't notice much that was different though. Couldn't see where it connects into the throttle or what makes it work. Hopefully you figure this out and give me enough motivation to re-think mine :D

It seems it might be a good time for me to do a write up, assuming I figure it out.

I have the entire Ford Cruise control manual for the 94'

If you PM me your email I can upload ya the whole thing. ..:thumbsup:

b91a5e22-d11c-424d-be16-36937bf7a62c_zps6749ab8f.jpg

Sent :thumbsup:

Ok, I've been working on this for a while and have run into a few problems. For the life of me, I can't find the cruise control module/amplifier. Is it part of the whole big actuator? Second, I don't really wan't to mess with the dump valve. As far as I can tell, it is kind of a double security in addition to having the brake switch turn it off. It looks like a whole project in itself to get that valve. I can't just swap petal assembly's, as the explorer is an auto and the b4000 is a manual. I've been taking pictures, and should have a good write up assuming I get this to work. It seems this won't be a good do it yourself project, however, as its not a plug in ordeal at all. I've had to swap steering wheels, do some cutting, and I haven't even started to really get into the control wiring. Might be good for the poor folk who are determined, but I recommend if you can afford the $80-$100 kit, get that.

The amplifier is right behind the glove box.

Pop the box door off. The 4x5' green box is the amp. (may be black if it's a replacement)

Thanks a lot, I've been pulling my hair out trying to find it. I never thought to look there. All the wires end up all taped up above the fuse box. Hopefully I can have it done today.

I am very close to having this done, I just have a couple things I am not sure of. Well, the other is the vacuum dump valve for the brake, but I'll try it without it first. All I have left is the plug for inputs for the speed control amplifier. I worked out that the black wire from the steering wheel buttons goes to the black wire on the plug. The pink with red stripe wire goes right to ground on the diagram. I think I will just screw that one right to the body. The grey with black stripe is the speed sensor input. That should be no problem once I find the speed sensor wire. What I have left is blue with green stripe, blue with black stripe, and solid green. Now as best as I can tell, the green shuts off the cruise control. The problem I am having is everything seems to be running in series on the diagram. There is something called the clutch triple function switch, that looks almost like a three phase motor starter. I'm not exactly sure why it would need three contacts, but here is what I am thinking. Run a jumper from the positive side of the clutch switch to the green wire, and also a jumper from the positive side of the brake switch to the green wire and solder all three together. Assuming both switches are normally closed, anytime one is pressed, it will put 12V to green wire and shut off the cruise. Now my real concerns are the Blue/black and blue/green. The only thing I see on the diagram is the blue/black goes to the speed control (steering wheel buttons), but I don't see where it would go to. The blue/green I just don't see.

Well I got it together, and... Wah wah... I doesn't work. The green wire is the shut off. I hooked it up so when the brake is pressed it puts 12 volts to the amplifier. the grey/black and pink/orange wires both went to the speed sensor wires. I put the black to the black wires coming from the cruise control buttons. I put the blue/black wire to the blue wire that must be power for the horn/cruise control switches. Finally, I put the blue/green wire to the accessories wire from the key cylinder.

Other than not having cruise control, I noticed the horn does not work. I have no idea if it worked before. I will check, but I have a feeling I am not getting power to the cruise control buttons and horn. Maybe that blue wire should also go to power. Still that leaves the blue/black wire with nowhere to go.

Other than that, I still don't get the brake dump valve. I tried it with and without the port plugged on the actuator. I really don't want to mess with it, but maybe I have to. There has to be a way to delete it.

Back