• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Doesn't Work

Drg racr

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 2WD
The cruise control on my 94 Ex decided to quit last week. I was driving down the highway, and it just shut off. Once in a while, I can get it to work again, but not every time. Give me an idea what to look for here. I've been fiddling with it all week! Could it be the on/off switch? I've played with the brake pedal while driving thinking it's the brake switch, and Ive messed with the switches on the steering wheel. Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cruise control on my 94 Ex decided to quit last week. I was driving down the highway, and it just shut off. Once in a while, I can get it to work again, but not every time. Give me an idea what to look for here. I've been fiddling with it all week! Could it be the on/off switch? I've played with the brake pedal while driving thinking it's the brake switch, and Ive messed with the switches on the steering wheel. Help!
does the transmission shift into overdrive? if not, you probably have a problem with the speed sensor. i had that problem with mine.

On mine, the plastic tab that holds the CC cable to the throttle body broke. I just replaced the throttle body with one that didn't have that piece broken. Works great now! Just look to see if the cable is loose...good luck.

I have the same thing. It works fine, then stops, then works again. The whole system was rebuilt on mine 2 years ago. Worked for a long time. Just started to happen. The steering wheel switch may be the problem on mine. That is still original.

I did notice that my rpm's were higher for a couple days. It's fine now. Where is the speed sensor?

check the cables on the pedal

My vacuum line was leaking. Oil got into it somehow and deteriorated the rubber.

I did notice that my rpm's were higher for a couple days. It's fine now. Where is the speed sensor?
The speed sensor is located on the transmission, I seem to recall. My symptoms were that the cruise control quit working, and also the automatic transmission refused to switch into overdrive. Turns out the OD is computer activated, and uses the same speed signal as does the cruise. Some varmint had crawled up under the truck and chewed through the wire.

We found it because an error code indicated loss of speed signal.

Back