Exploring XLT

Never Stop Explorering
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stony Plain
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
Hey, so the cruise control failed on my Explorer, it worked intermittently, then couldn't quite seem to work but was trying, then just quit entirely, what are the common failures of the cruise control?

The Servo can definitely go bad, so can the steering wheel button/switch. Make sure all your brake lights work too, I remember reading something about that a while back.

There are two systems in this cruise control. The first is the electronics, which is pretty dependable. But, the electronics control vacuum to the servo, and the vacuum is what actually pulls the throttle open. There is a weakness in the vacuum part of it.

There is a hose from the vacuum diaphragm that goes to the brake pedal bracket, and then a valve of sorts on the bracket itself. The idea is that pressing the brake pedal release the vacuum and stops the cruise control action. The valve at the brake pedal is an odd design, it basically has the end of the hose and then a stopper on the bracket. The distance between the two is a friction adjustment. So, over time, the hose, which adjusts, can back away and cause intermittent and then complete failure of the cruise control. The way to fix it is to get up under the dash at the brake pedal, find that hose and adjust it down so it makes better contact with the stopper. This is hard to describe in words, but once you see it, you will get the idea.

I have had to do this 3-4 times in my 10 years of ownership. If it's the problem, you just need a flashlight to see it and use your hands to adjust it. That would be my best first guess.

I posted some info about this a couple years ago. Never got around to posting a troubleshoot for the resistors/contacts in the steering wheel, or the vacuum servo unit. I am betting its the speed control amp. I pull them from any first gens I find when at junkyards. Every single one I have pulled had broken solder joints.

Back