cupping tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cupping tires

gotdust

Reaction score
i am thinking about buying a used 02 4x4 ford explorer i think it is 4.0, i heard a noise coming from front end the dealer put new brakes and rotors on it noise almost went away, the dealer said that the explorer was known for tire cupping and making a little noise, i dont know much about explorer does this sound right and what is cupping, other then that everything seems good. the price is $6000.00 thanks

Hard to evaluate the price without knowing a lot more about the truck (options, condition, mileage), so I cannot help you there.

As far as the tire cupping comment, I do not agree. I base that on my own personal experience (had a '97 for 85K miles), and have had my current '02 Limited for 90K miles), and have not seen this complaint on this site. This site is filled with lots of people that know these trucks, and their more common problems inside out.

Cupping is usually the result of bad wheel bearings (which these can have, but hard to live with far before tire cupping becomes an issue), and badly worn suspension components (typically not an issue, although some have had worn ball joints).

Front end noise will most likely will be bearings. A real issue on 3rd gens

The tire cupping could come from badly worn front struts. If they are original they are probably shot. How many miles? I agree that the noise is most likely a wheel bearing starting to go.

Back