• Register Today It's free!

Custom air intake...

CdnCory

Reaction score
City, State
B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 2-door
I have a new cone air filter laying around and was wondering if I just took out the stock airbox in my '93 4.0, and made an adapter to fit the filter on right after the MAF, would that work?

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it would.

What would you do with those lines that go into the airbox?

Just plug them up with some screws or something.
I say you just get the adapter off ebay, it's a lot of work to make one and would be cheaper off ebay, I saw one for 7 bucks before.
Here's some pics of my homemade adapter and the intake installed.
Picture110.gif

Picture129.gif

Picture132.gif

F.M.I. (for my information, heh), what do those lines go to/ what are they for? They are vaccuum lines?

From Alldata it's a, vacuum tube and bi-metallic sensor in the air cleaner cover.
I think the sensor measures the heat of the air, but i'm not sure.
If you plug them up they don't do anything to your X, I do recommend you reset your computer by disconnecting the battery for 15 min after you install everything.

The bi-metal sensor behaves like a thermostat to measure heat within the stock airbox. It is used to help warm up the engine a few minutes faster by opening/closing the air vane located behind the bumper to direct cold air into the stock air box. Since you're no longer using the stock air box the sensor is rendered useless. One line attaches to the engine's vacuum, the other to the air vane behind the bumper. When the sensor has reached it's set point it opens up and causes the vacuum to be applied on the line going to vane (causing the vane to open).

So the sensor only serves a purpose when starting? How about when it is really cold out, it gets to -30 C here in the winter...

I believe the sensor has 2 primary purposes. 1) to aide in starting a cold engine 2) Increase the vehicles fleet fuel economy by warming up the engine faster.

The radiator is responsible to maintiain proper engine temperature... As such after an engine has warmed up you want cold air all the time as it is denser and gives the engine slightly better performance.

The reason I have not done this conversion yet is because I was worried about the cold winters. So sounds like I just need to let it warm up a bit longer in the winter and I should be fine.

xmodster3o3: Did you notice a increase in performance?

do you have a dremel tool? or perhaps a 2" or 3: hole saw? if so you can make an adapter out of a plastic lightswitch plate (2 switch unbreakable kind.), 4 nuts and bolts and a flat pvc bushing. should cost less than 3$ just get the switch plate and mark off the round pvc bushing chut a hole and drill 4 holes for bolts that will hold it to the MAF. use PVC cememnt to bond the bushing to the switchplate. i did this for my truck and it has been on for 2 years. took me liike 30 minutes to make it.

CdnCory said:
The reason I have not done this conversion yet is because I was worried about the cold winters. So sounds like I just need to let it warm up a bit longer in the winter and I should be fine.

xmodster3o3: Did you notice a increase in performance?
Yes a small bit, but nothing that's neck breaking, I say the best thing about the mod is the new sound of the engine.

I removed that "sensor" long ago. I even opened it up. I really don't see how something that small would make a difference in the warm-up time.

xmodster, how did you make your adapter?

Additionally, how much beef will the mechanic give you come inspection time?

if anyone wants ideas for making an intake there are some great pics on this site that people were toying with a awhile back

i have them saved locally but this system won't let me load them :(

would be willing to email them to those interested

i made my own, had to buy the filter but otherwise i made it. E mail me and i could help you.

I made mine, took a metal intake pipe, shortened it by half, extended the MAF wires, bought the MAF adapter, then rerouted it to the driver's-side.

BigBadWimp said:
Additionally, how much beef will the mechanic give you come inspection time?
Thats why you just keep the stock setup and install it back in, Takes about 10 min to install taking your time. I think I can do it in 2 flat. :thumbsup:

I made mine out of a juction box cover plate and some PVC pipe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pheonixx77 said:
do you have a dremel tool? or perhaps a 2" or 3: hole saw? if so you can make an adapter out of a plastic lightswitch plate (2 switch unbreakable kind.), 4 nuts and bolts and a flat pvc bushing. should cost less than 3$ just get the switch plate and mark off the round pvc bushing chut a hole and drill 4 holes for bolts that will hold it to the MAF. use PVC cememnt to bond the bushing to the switchplate. i did this for my truck and it has been on for 2 years. took me liike 30 minutes to make it.

I have full access to a machine shop, so I'm thinking of cutting out a plate of 1/8" to fit the MAF, then maching up a bushing with the same OD as my filter (3") then welding it to the plate and using a hose clamp to stick the filter on.

Back