"Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
I did this some time back now, but it was buried 4 pages deep in another thread here.

I am going to copy most of the information here so others can find it.

Now that AMMO_HOOAH is getting a 4" Superlift and has a 4406, maybe others will get on the ball and do the mod too. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the DS for the 96 sport to use the flange for my t case.

Found in the pile o driveshafts a perfect length front driveshaft for a Heep Grand Cherokee. The U joints are the same and it has a stock double cardan, but it uses a different style to connect to the t case

I am going to transplant the flanged double cardan from the Explorer driveshaft to the heep driveshaft. No need to get it shortened and it should work. I got both shafts for $81, so I should have a perfect front d shaft for not much cash. And as a bonus the heep front d shaft diff yoke is the same as my D35, so I don't need a conversion u joint.

From the top down:
Stock AWD D shaft
F150 D shaft cut down a little bit
Jeep front d shaft
Explorer Rear d shaft

driveshaftdouble_001_Small_.jpg

End shots same order just sideways - notice the jeep shaft has a different connection for the T case

driveshaftdouble_002_Small_.jpg

Yoke Comparisons: Left to right

Jeep
Stock D Shaft
F150 shaft with conversion joint

driveshaftdouble_004_Small_.jpg

Ford D shaft some what taken apart

driveshaftdouble_007_Small_.jpg

Ford flanged piece

driveshaftdouble_008_Small_.jpg

Jeep double cardan

driveshaftdouble_010_Small_.jpg

U joints- AZ only had these three. The brute force went in the middle u joint because it is impossible to get a grease gun in there anyway. The other two have zurks.

driveshaftdouble_011_Small_.jpg

Completed Double cardan

driveshaftdouble_012_Small_.jpg

Completed D shaft

driveshaftdouble_015_Small_.jpg

Comparison shot- the DC driveshaft is about 1/4" longer than my cut down F150 shaft. It just barely fits between the diff and T Case, but it is not bottomed out.

driveshaftdouble_019_Small_.jpg

Last picture- bolted up rear angle

driveshaftdouble_020_Small_.jpg

I am running 3 of the stock size u joints for my truck on a Jeep Grand Cherokee front D shaft with the double cardan from a Ford explorer sport.

No cutting or welding. Just a bunch of damn rusty u joints and 3 new ones. I took pictures but wont be able to upload them until tonight.

I took it on a road trip and no noise at all. At certain speeds a very small vibration in the floor, I suspect that is from the weights I left on the driveshaft. Now that everything is different, I don't need them.

The only people that need this are those with the 4406 AND a suspension lift. If you dont have any suspension lift a stock F150 driveshaft with a conversion u joint will work.

Very good info. I just wish I still had my front double cordon shaft:rolleyes:.

the 96-97 v8's had double cardan driveshafts in the front.

Serious?
I could swear Dans is a cv style--

I can't remember where the change happened, but some 95-97 had CV, and some had DC style. I'm not sure what I would have to do to make that fit.... I don't think the flange will bolt up to the 4406.

the flanhe WILL NOT bolt up to the t-case sadly. THe 96-up until mid 97's(i'm sorry) had dc driveshafts. WHen the P headed expo's and mounty's came, they went to CV's.

the flanhe WILL NOT bolt up to the t-case sadly. THe 96-up until mid 97's(i'm sorry) had dc driveshafts. WHen the P headed expo's and mounty's came, they went to CV's.

LOL, in a little hurry there :p: That's what I figured with the stocker. I'm wondering if I could shim the rear mount point on the diff to get it to rotate down more, but well see what happens when I get the kit on.

I spilled coke on my laptop keyboard...on the left side. My keys tend to stick.

Mine is a non P head & has a CV. The build date on mine is 12/96

odd. You do know what that means though.....my mounty is older than yoooooourrrs neeeener neeener neeeeeeeeeener.

I'm thinking about using washers and a longer bolt on the rear mount for the diff to see if I can get it twisted down far enough to not need a DC shaft. If any of you guys foresee any issues don't hesitate to speak up.

Thanks Evan for the link to here, I had read this back then, but forgot the details.

Does the old Explorer DC front shaft have the same flange as the BW4406? I would think that it would be too small. I have my old 93 Explorer front shaft somewhere, I need to check its flange to see if it is just like the one which you used. My custom AWD shaft has the same front u-joint, no special part required either. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think a first gen driveshaft front double cardan driveshaft may bolt right in. I actually have one of those at my shop, I need to measure it vs. the driveshaft I have now. I think the flange will work- I know the sport rear driveshaft flange bolts up.

Back