Custom intake i built today | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom intake i built today

So i thought it was hard getting speed parts for an X....Well there is even less out there for my new Axiom. So..... i built one, i built a high flow intake, i made the tube from 3" 304 stainless seemless tubing, and bought the couplers, and cone filter from a local speed shop. I decided to section and weld all the bends because i needed a bend radius that could not be bent by anyone @ me, and the diameter is always consistent. The whole tube was made from a straight piece of pipe, i thinkl it looks pretty tight. The finish is from a burnishing polishing tank we have at work. The seat of my pants test was VERY impresive, and the sound is awsome! I am doing a dyno run this weekend to see actual #s. I will let yall know. In all this only cost me $85, of corse this is not including my labor. Let me know what ya think.

intake1.jpg

intake3.jpg

intake4.jpg

intake2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that looks amazing...good job man.

nice...... the bends may hurt a little bit of performance but its definately nice looking, and will be way better than stock.. nad since an aftermarket wasnt available, a darngood engineering of one...

Actually the entire inside is also polished, and the angled pipe never loses its true diameter. Sectioning pipe has been really popular in Japan in cars and motorclcles.

That looks really good! It's amazing what a lack of aftermarket support can do for people's imagination. Plus you get the feeling of satisfaction that you did it on your own. Good job.

patent it, maybe apc will buy it from ya. $$$$

looks great.

Originally posted by stretch
That looks really good! It's amazing what a lack of aftermarket support can do for people's imagination. Plus you get the feeling of satisfaction that you did it on your own. Good job.
Yep, what he said! Awesome job man.

Beautiful!! I see that we have another crafty one here. Really a top notch job.

Thanks guys i really apreciate the comments.:D

Nice Job! For a person that does Tig Welding for living, it must have been an easy project you.
yes.gif

The welding was the easy part, the designing and fab took a little time. Total from design to install i have like 5 hours, i could reproduce it in two or three now since the hard part is done.

Very nice, now make a few more and make a little money for yourself. I'm sure someone on here would like one. Great Job!!

Well i powdercoated the intake and did a little engine dress up, let me know what ya think:

engine_bay1.jpg

painted_intake2.jpg

:D

Very Nice!!

May I ask what materials you used?

The tubing is seamless 16 gauge 304 stainless 3" . The powder is from hotcoat and the silicone couplers are from Hose Tecniques.

the pipe looks nice, but the blue loom is lookin kinda ricey to me.

-Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back