Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
22 Bronc Badlands
Callsign
AE6H
Does anyone know of a pre-fabbed custom rear bumper for early (91-94) Ex's other than the Ken Mtn redferred to in the group purchases forum, or the Smitty-Built? I did a thread search and that was about all I came up with. neither is exactly what I had in mind/ Paul Bredehoft has apretty neat one, but I don't think it's available anymore. Also Paul, if you're reading this could you send me an e-mail about the brand of your bumper. I lost all my e-mail addreess book contents during an OS upgrade :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ray,
From the last time I talked to Paul, there was a shop that had 2 of these bumper/tirecarriers left, and that's it. He was saying that they are $1600.00 now and you still have to get them poweder coated. I don't remember the name of the shop that has them, but Paul knows. I wanted one of those really bad, but I just can't afford it.

Bumper

Thanks Ray, I think I know the shop, its lilely the one that Darrien used to work at and that did much of Paul's work: Dependable Offroad in Orange, CA. I agree: $1600 is too pricey for me too. ;)

I have attempted to duplicate Pauls bumper myself. Unfortunatly I need better equipment to achieve his results. My welder does not have enough "Umpf" to do a quality weld. I may end up at my friends shop and finish my bumper. I'm also considering the Group Pruchase bumper mentioned since it is price friendly. Easier to mod his than start from scratch.

Ray, James Duff at jamesduff.com has a couple of different bumpers for the Explorer I think that they run from 160 and up.

1,600 frickin dollars for a bumper??!?!?!?!?

anyone know if you can modify a tire carier from like a broncoII or a (gulp) blazer to fit on the back of an expo???

1600... DAMN!!

Originally posted by expotrek
1,600 frickin dollars for a bumper??!?!?!?!?

anyone know if you can modify a tire carier from like a broncoII or a (gulp) blazer to fit on the back of an expo???

1600... DAMN!!

I would think you would have to re-enforce the body where you attach the tire carrier.

Custom Bumper

Ray, since you have your own welder and seem to be handy with it, go to your local metal supply warehouse and get yourself an box beam that will suit your needs for size. I went to the one in Escondido and saw about 20 diferent sized beams that would make a nice bumper. Cost .25cents a pound. I figured it will cost me about $45.00 tops in metal to make my entire bumper, tire/gas racks included. They even cut the thick stuff for you for $2.00.

I bought enough 3/8" steel plate (pre cut) to make new leaf spring plates, new shock mounts and tubing to make quick disconnect for my sway bars, and it costs me a whopping $6.47 with tax. A little grinding, a little welding, etc...

Brian,

Yeah, I thought of that, but just didn't see any scrap of the appropriate dimensions on my last visit to Industrial Metals Supply in Irvine, CA. I'm fabing a front bumper, so I was going to be lazy about the rear, but it very well may come to building my own. I'll check back at the supply house soon as things are always changing.

Hi,
I've been thinking about using parts from a bronco or blazer carrier, but mountin them to a frame on the bumper. That would save alot of the ground-up design work(-maybe)
JB

I looked into that already. It would be ugly, not as strong, and the gas cans would not fit. If you wanted to mount it to the rear of your rig you would have to do some serious mod's to strengthen up the mounting area. It seemed to be more trouble than its worth. Besides, the metal to make a bumper from scratch is a lot cheaper.

Ray H. sorry I did not see your post earlier, but your right about where you can find one of thoughs bumpers. I think Dependable had one left. They were designed and made by Paul Rickard of Rickard Engine & Mgn. He is no longer makeing them due to health problems. $1,600 is a lot (I paid a grand for mine 5 years ago) but it's well made. Where can you find a bumper that has a built in storage compartment with locks and a bumper that has withstand being rearended twice plus been over the Rubicon twice with out even damaging it except for a few stratches. Tom Rio and I are the only two that have them on our Explorer and I know that it has saved Tom's rear end a few times also.

Ray or Brian, if you guy's want to see how well it is built or want to take the truck down to one of your fab places, so that they can see what and how it was made, let me know.
It would be interesting to see how much it would cost if someone else could make it.

Paul B.
91 XLT/ 4x4 modified

93 rear bumper

You can check out my new rear bumper. Its at the paint shop right now. The pics are not very good but you can get an idea of what I had done.

I also had the stock tire carrier modified to hold a 33.
Its a 33x10.5 in the pics...I'd suggest using a 10x9.5

http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/jsdietz/pics/tech/

bumper-rear-nopaint.jpg
bumper-side-nopaint.jpg

OK, I paid $1,500 for a custom rear bumper. The bent metal cost about $300. Time to weld and fit it to an Explorer was the rest.

I cut the rear quarter pannel to create a wrap around bumper.

Yes, this cost way too much...I'm buying a welder to build my own front bumper...:-}

Looks Great!

Joe -

That bumper looks fan-freakin-tastic!! Does it have storage??

Paul

Joe,

Im with Paul, that looks great. I really like the wrap around.

Is it possible to get some more details and pics when your finished? I have resigned myself to building one or having one made and yours looks very close to what I had sketched out.

What materials, the angles you used , how did you mount it? Appreciate any and all info you provide. You said you made room for a 33, you mean under the body?

Once again it- looks really good.

Good news and bad news. I went to a store in Vegas today looking for a new bumper. They had one prerunner style for the front and one mounted one for the rear. I'm not sure on the price for the front, but I was quoted about 350 for the rear. That was a new bumper with hitch and a swing out tire carrier. The problem was that it was for the bronco. They are also making them for other trucks, but when I asked about the explorer I got mixed results. I got everything from there's not too many people wanting one, to there's no way insurance will ever go through. He did give me an email address to the company that makes their bumpers(which I forgot....I can get it again though). What I would like is a number of explorers that may want one at 400 a piece plus shipping. I'll see what I can do from there. The 400 is a guess price.....it may go up, it may go down. You willing to pay 500??? I'm also interested in one too that's one reason why I want people. I don't care if I'm still running 30 inch tires.....I want a rear tire carrier.

[Edited by leebo on 01-05-2001 at 06:13 AM]

Here is a link to their site.
Dead Link Removed

Do not email them or call them right now though. I'd rather sit back and have all the info at once and go down and talk face to face with them. I know that Ron Cox who is also a member has had some talks with them on this same subject so they know we're out here and we want these darn bumpers.

Hi Leebo,
Put me on the list for one of the bumper/tire carriers!
JB

Bumper -- Late reply...

Paul and others,

Sorry for the late reply. I will be happy to share the specs with you. I'll be out in CA for the Truckhaven run. I'll get someone to take some good digital pics while we are out there. I have a scanner but I haven't picked up a digital camera yet...soon.

We can measure the heck out of the thing. The angles are quite simple. Most metal shops should be able to make the two bends. I believe we are dealing with one right angle and one 45 degree angle,(I'll double check). High Country Performace 4x4 built the bumper for me.

The bumper started life as three pieces. Two side panels and the long rear panel. They were custom fitted at High Country. High Country had a metal shop bend the initial sheet metal. They used 13/16 thick metal. 1/8 too thin 1/4 too heavy. There are supports bars welded on the inside corners to give the side panels more support. The class III receiver will not tow big loads. I had that added for a tow point on the trail and to tow jetski/motorcycle trailers. I would NOT tow a heavy boat or car trailer.

Bumper mounts to stock frame mounting points. The bumper was made to accomodate a 33 inch tire in the stock mounting location. The rear most frame rail must be "edited" to allow the 33 to fit. We used a plasma cutter but a saws-all should do the trick. The stock bumper would no longer fit on the Explorer with a 33 inch tire mounted under as a spare. I have some pics of the tire mounted without the bumper. I'll scan them in.

Pinch molding was used on the edges of the cut quarter pannel to give a more finished look.

Storage...no room...:)..
This was one of the gotta haves for me when I started. I actually wanted the bumper to be a box. I thought the top could open...turns out with that 33 under there it does not leave much room. You could get it done but then your bumper will start to stick out eating into you depature angle. I don't believe I drasticlly improved my departure angle but I don't think that I have hurt it.

I may add some backup lights in the future.

I was hoping to have the bumper today...but the paint shop is a little behind...

more to come...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious, what's wrong with the Ken Mtn rear bumper? I haven't bee following this thread so I apologize if has already been explained. I was curious.

Back