• Register Today It's free!

cv joint or steering rack

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
so i have search alot and found some great threads on replacement but none on how to tell what the problem is...
the issue im havein is when i make a sharp turn im gettin a wierd sound from the front end almost like a gear slippin sound and i was told it sounds like a cv joint question is how do i know if thats the problem and can i rebuild or do i need a new shaft??? any help would be great you guys always are a huge help....
oh yeah its a 95 xlt 4door 4x4
thanks for any help
Danny

Before getting too far into this, do you have a TT lifted front end (did someone raise the front by tightening the torsion bars)?

CVs make a pop-clunk sound & if you are going slow you can usually feel it.

If it is a CV problem you can rebuild them with a parts kit for about $30. A remanufactured replacement costs around $50 minus the core charge at just about every major parts store. Most people get the remans. I haven't heard any opinions on brands one way or another. They are not difficult to replace though you may need to buy a breaker bar and socket to fit the axle nut.

Clicking around corners is a real common sound CV axles with torn boots and lack of lubrication make. I ran my Jeep with bad cv axles for like 2 years until it was making god awful sounds. I couldn't believe how tore up it was when I removed it.
I always go for the remans, much easier, drop it in and go. Look under the front of your truck and look at the very center of the wheel where the cv axle engages the hub and look at the rubber boots, if they are split open they are likely junk. You can gauge how long they been exposed to the elements by seeing how much rust/crust is in there or if the grease is clean and freshly flung.

hey guys thanks for the replies.. sorry for the delay in responding ive been working ALOT 18-20 hour days good money at least... so i havent had time to check anything yet i am gonna try for today are tuesday. but from the quick look i did take the boots look very shot so hopefully thats good news.
also not sure if its the same thing but myy steering is feeling kinda tight lately also like its got no fluid, could that also be cuased by the cv joint??? oh and no it has never been lifted.
thanks again
Danny

Back