Dana 35 Pinion & Carrier Shims | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 Pinion & Carrier Shims

Did you measure the thickness of the oil deflector? That will effect your shimming depth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you measure the thickness of the oil deflector? That will effect your shimming depth.

true... and no, I did not. I could measure the 2nd one that came in the kit to get a rough guesstimate.

heck, might just started over on that and put the original shim back in, drop the depth to around 2.041 and see how it looks again.

thought I had a picture of the orignal pattern, but I guess I didn't take one.

Ok so I kinda sorta got the pinion shims squared away... Dana manual and factory workshop manual both show shims going between bearing and pinion head.

but let's make things more complicated and confusing!

Dana light axle application catalog for 1999-2005, for the Model 35/194, shows the carrier shims between the bearings and carrier; number 24:

dana.jpg

Ford factory workshop manual for a 1997 Explorer, shows carrier shims going outside the races, between the race and housing; number 27:

fsm.jpg

so there were shims between the bearings and carrier, measured the total shim pack and was around .050. Although I cannot, for the life of me, remember if there were shims outside the races; although I don't believe so.
But that would make sense, since I was only able to squeeze ~.064 in there.

Still makes me wonder... which do I follow? Ford or Dana?

I think a shim is a shim.

I thought about it, and ended up getting the correct shims. For just under $10, no biggy.

Also, since without a case spreader I can't properly set carrier bearing preload with the external shims, this is where the correct shims would certainly be ideal.

here's with either an .030 or .032 pinion shim.
backlash needs to be reduced a couple thousandths; currently at about .011

riding on the toe on the drive(?) and heel on the coast(?)... I get confused with drive and coast sides. Pretty high on the face, but that should be closer to center when I tighten up the backlash.

P1010177.jpg

P1010175.jpg

here's about .005 backlash

P1010178.jpg

P1010179.jpg

went ahead and added .008 to the pinion, since that's supposed to help bring the contact closer to the center between face and flank.
So pinion shim is now at .038, which was the original shim on the OEM pinion.
backlash is right at .008

P1010181.jpg

P1010180.jpg

almost done with this thing!
then it's just replacing the axles next weekend.

went ahead and actually brought the pinion up a hair more. .047 was way too much and pattern was too far on the toe.
so put in an .042, backlash is at .006, and pattern looks better and is probably as good as it's gonna get!

P1010184.jpg

P1010182.jpg

now to spend tomorrow putting on the new pinion bearing, and replacing the external shims with the correct internal ones, to get carrier bearing preload set.

ok... so last question.

P1010185.jpg

the seal on the left is the pinion seal.
what's the one on the right?

only place I can find something even close is on RockAuto...

TIMKEN Part # 710065
4WD; Dana/Spicer 28IFS Axle; Front Right
AWD; Dana/Spicer 28IFS Axle; Front Right

and

TIMKEN Part # 710043
AWD; Dana/Spicer 35IFS Axle; Front Left
4WD; Dana/Spicer 35IFS Axle; Front Left
??

so other than getting the pinion seal on and determining whether or not I need to use that cup-looking seal, got 'er all buttoned up.

with the external shims I had a total of about .056. Added about .009 to either side for carrier bearing preload, so have a total of about .078. The .042 pinion shim was perfect. Backlash is at .006.

had to beat on the carrier quite a bit with a dead-blow rubber mallet to get it to seat, also used a brass drift on one of the races since the carrier started to go in slightly crooked. Got it straightened out with the brass drift and 3lb sledge (lightly hitting, of course).

everything feels good and pattern looks good (I think) to boot! :biggthump

P1010187.jpg

P1010186.jpg

Very nice pattern!

You will not use that cup looking seal. It is not on the Ford IFS axle.

Very nice pattern!

You will not use that cup looking seal. It is not on the Ford IFS axle.

thanks for the confirmation on the pattern! :biggthump

I didn't think I'd use the cup, since Yukon sells the kit as compatible with "Explorer: 1990 - 2003 (Front)"
Although it does fit.
Just wanted confirmation.

glad I'm finally done with this part.
Gotta say, the D35 was much more difficult and time consuming compared to the 8.8. After getting the rear done in ~12-14 hrs, figured the D35 wouldn't have taken me near as long as it did.

keepin my fingers crossed!

just got my axles swapped out... but of course I forgot to hook up the breather tube on the front axle... ugh.

test spin tomorrow.

Back