Dana 44 build-up | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44 build-up

Since moving down here to the middle of MO I've gotten back into offroading. I finally paid the X off so now it's time to start some serious mods. I've recently realized that the front gears are shot so I took the plunge and bought an F-250 HP D44. And thanks to ebay, I'm now the owoner of a set of Chevy flat top knuckles and a pair of F-150 hubs and rotors. The build-up of this will take place over the next few months as I can afford the parts I want. I want to do it right the first time and not sacrifice getting it done sooner for the sake of quality. Plans include running the 1/2 ton brakes and hubs for the 5X5 1/2 bolt pattern, 4.88's for 35" tires, probably narrow it to EB or Wagoneer width, high strength cro-moly axle shafts, CTM u-joints, high steer arms, wran premium hubs with their fusable link, a selectable locker (not sure if ARB or other electronic locker), and coilovers. An atlas II is also in the near future to eliminate the AWD. I figured this would be a great b-day present to myself and a way to celebrate paying it off. Now I just need to find a shop to do the fab work for me since we're not allowed to do any welding here on Ft. Leonard Wood. I've still got a lot of learning to do and bugs to work out but as I said, this will be a slow process so I can get out of it exactly what I want. For now, here's some pics to wet the appetite: :D

Attachments

• HP D44 2.jpg
    HP D44 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 971
  • Flat Top Knuckles.jpg
    Flat Top Knuckles.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 940
  • F 150 Hubs and Rotors.jpg
    F 150 Hubs and Rotors.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 963

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Signing up to learn!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Scored some more parts today! Lately, UPS has become my new Santa Claus! :D Used K10 caliper brackets/dustshields (those things are heavy at about a 1/4" thick!), K10 6 hole spindles to match the Chevy flat top knuckles, and new Spicer ball joints. Slowly getting there. :cool:

Attachments

• K10 caliper brakets.JPG
    K10 caliper brakets.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 447
  • K10 spindles and D44 ball joints.JPG
    K10 spindles and D44 ball joints.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 447

stretch said:
Scored some more parts today! Lately, UPS has become my new Santa Claus! :D Used K10 caliper brackets/dustshields (those things are heavy at about a 1/4" thick!), K10 6 hole spindles to match the Chevy flat top knuckles, and new Spicer ball joints. Slowly getting there. :cool:
geez, 1/4" steel for a dust sheild?? talk about overbuilt...

Nick26 said:
geez, 1/4" steel for a dust sheild?? talk about overbuilt...
It is also the caliper bracket. Though the newer style has the caliper bracket in 1/4" and the rest of the shield in sheet metal.

Got the HP D44 and Ford 8.8" Master Install Kits (with all Timken bearings) and the Warn Premium Lockout Hubs today. Hopefully, the 4.88 gears will arrive tomorrow.

Attachments

• HP D44 and 8.8 Master Install Kits.JPG
    HP D44 and 8.8 Master Install Kits.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 414
  • Warn D44 Premium Locking Hubs.JPG
    Warn D44 Premium Locking Hubs.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 389

stretch said:
Got the HP D44 and Ford 8.8" Master Install Kits (with all Timken bearings) and the Warn Premium Lockout Hubs today. Hopefully, the 4.88 gears will arrive tomorrow.

Looks good, who'd you get your spindles and stuff from? I found Partsmike.com had a good selection, and he helped me alot over the phone...

Also Word of advice, Dont over tighten the bolts that hold the hubs on :rolleyes: I did on mine, and snapped the bolts right off....

Good luck...

XplorerKid said:
Looks good, who'd you get your spindles and stuff from? I found Partsmike.com had a good selection, and he helped me alot over the phone...

Also Word of advice, Dont over tighten the bolts that hold the hubs on :rolleyes: I did on mine, and snapped the bolts right off....

Good luck...

The Spindles came from www.completeoffroad.com . They've helped me out quite a bit, plus their prices are pretty good. And thanks for the advice on the hubs, I'll keep that in mind.

The next parts that I'll be purchasing will be the high steer arms, probably from Parts Mike . My question is if I should run Chevy tie rod ends or heim joints. This will be my DD for a while so safety and on road durability will be my biggest concern. I've read that heims aren't good to run on a DD and are more for trail rigs. Right now, I'm leaning more towards tie rod ends. www.bluetorchfab.com has some nice threaded link inserts so I could still use DOM for the steering linkage. I think I may have just answered my own question but any input would be appreciated. :confused:

Im running Part Heims(draglink) part TREs(tie Rod), not my choice, it was gunna be all Heims, but im not complete Hi Steer yet, since my Steering arms wouldnt work, they would interfere with my leaves, havent had the money to order new arms yet, in the future i hope. I bought my DOM and Link Inserts From BTF, very good parts, i also bought there Mis alignment spacers. Good Luck....

One thing ive found out bout my Heims is they Squeek, and im not running Cheapo Heims, they are (cant remember brand now). But i know they arent cheap. They are teflon lined and all that... some where around 50$ each. Kinda pisses me off they squeek since thats one thing i cant stand is squeeking, but ive learned to live with it.

Good Luck

XplorerKid,
So you're not having any problems with the heims while on-road? And I take it this is your DD? I could deal with the squeaking sound if they'll be better for my application.

I havent had any problems, least not that i know of, yes the Jeep is my DD right not, atleast when its not broke ;)

I havent had a heim Joint fail on me, or seen any ill effects that they have caused me while driving.

ive gotta the super arms from sky manufacturing and at $90 a piece, they are beeeeeeeeefy as hell, and clear my 12 inch superlift leafs ;)

most likely im going to run the es2026R and 2027L tire rod ends in DOM tube, since mine will be a daily driver, and those part numbers are for 1 ton chevy TRE's , most everyone over at pirate BB is using either the heims or 1 ton chevy TRE's

The only problem with heims on a daily driver is over time they get a little loose. There really isnt any worry in them failing or breaking..... just after so many miles they will start to get a little slack in them and the rig will road walk.

Thanks james, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

Any updates?

Not lately, had some unexpected bills come up that needed attention. Gotta talk to the bank about those next week. Plus I've been having some family issues. On a good note though, I've only got a few parts left to buy before I can start on the actual rebuild of the axle (of course those are the expensive ones - ARB and compressor, new axle shafts and u-joints, high steer arms). But it really sucks to sit here and see all of these parts I do have still sitting in the boxes I received them in. I leave them out to remind me to take care of what I need to so I can play. :D I think I'll be getting the 8.8 regeared within the next month or so along with some 35" BFG AT though. :D The current 31's will be the death of me if I don't get them replaced soon, think no traction in the rain and you have to drive on the Interstate to get anywhere around here. It's starting to look like it might take a little longer than I originally expected. But isn't that how it's supposed to go? :rolleyes:

Very informative thread. Keep it coming. I know how u feel about the boxes. I'm going thru the same thing. What ratio gears do you plan to run in the 8.8?

^^I think he said he was going with 4.88s...not sure though.

stretch said:
It's starting to look like it might take a little longer than I originally expected. But isn't that how it's supposed to go? :rolleyes:
Yeah, that's how it always goes. If I tell my parents it will take me 30 minutes to install something, they know it will atleast be an hour. :rolleyes:

Yep, already got the Superior 4.88's. Hopefully, I'll have enough in a few days to get the ARB and compressor for the 8.8.

Back