Daniel's (Insert Catch Phrase Here) '03 Ranger | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Daniel's (Insert Catch Phrase Here) '03 Ranger

I think Gman meant that the straps look short. Like they limit the amount of droop you get even more than the sway bar would. How much downward travel do you get from ride height?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think Gman meant that the straps look short. Like they limit the amount of droop you get even more than the sway bar would. How much downward travel do you get from ride height?

Well, close to what I'm getting at.

I was actually wondering about how much more travel was gained. Without the swaybar, the travel can only go so far before the CV axle gets messed up. How far before that happens I am not sure. I need a set of limit straps installed, and am trying to figure out the proper length for mine.

3 inches down and 3 inches or so up. The strap length really doesn't matter. How the strap is mounted determines the limit to the travel. I still see full travel minus about 1/2 inch or so even though the straps are hooked . The sway bar doesn't limit the travel in the IFS so long as both wheel move the same direction, both up or both down. It is when the suspension tries to move independently, say one side up and the other down, that sway bars will limit the amount of articulation

By unhooking the sway bar you are allow each wheel to travel independently without the swaybar trying to force the opposite side into the same position.

So gains in travel= 0

Gains in ride quality and articulation= :thumbsup:

Alright, some updates. Thanks to Turdle got some sweet coating on a set of disconnects.

endlink005.jpg

endlink006.jpg

Now it is time to clean the underside of the truck :rolleyes:

Here is what all the dirtiness came from. A recent trip to Colorado

Black Bear Pass at The Steps a.k.a "Pucker Hill"
7427_151890467287_528787287_3393241_7266563_n.jpg

DSC03201.jpg

Imogene Pass
DSC03396-1.jpg

Tincup Pass
DSC03442.jpg

The Magical 100k mark (happen on the way there)
DSC02981.jpg

Somewhere on Yankee Boy Basin
DSC03140.jpg

nice lookin ranger u got there daniel

That is awesome Eric, but funny things start to happen with the 33's at about 90 so I don't know if the little 4.0 would really like the 100 mph mark.

I think the base of your sway bar links should be rotated 90 degrees, so the pin is aligned fore-and-aft. That would allow the link to rotate around the pin as your suspension cycles, allowing the entire bushing to take the load. The way it sits now, only the ends of the bushings are seeing the load.

Those end links look perfect for what I need. Cant stand the bobble head action I get from having the front sway bar attached, while wheeling. Some advice on limit strap placement/installation would be helpful info for all. Looks like a set is needed for the Black Hole as well! :)

Scott, the top of the disconnect is a heim joint allowing for the cycling of the suspension.

Clearances are an issue with the newer trucks as the cv's and tierods will interfere if you realign things. So far, I have 3200ish miles on the prototypes with great results :).

Jon, they will be on they're way this afternoon, hopefully.

Greg, if you use shock eye bushings for the lower end let me know , I have the metal bushings you will need for them. As for the limit strap you can look at how I mounted mine but the way Jon had his before the coilovers might be more appropriate.

You wouldn't happen to be on the mini baja team would you.

Sure enough, was the Team Leader last year, just hanging out offering help till I graduate in December :D

Alright, a very busy weekend I found some stuff that needs fixed and fixed some stuff.

First locker was acting up so I R&R'ed it and found the diaphram full of oil. So I cleaned it and put everything back together...so far so good...

Then I had a MK8 e-fan sitting in the apartment begging to be installed. After a couple of slight wiring hiccups it is in...chopped and modded but in...more info and pictures a little later.

By the way, it works awesome but I will try not to spill the beans just yet :)

Then I had a MK8 e-fan sitting in the apartment begging to be installed. After a couple of slight wiring hiccups it is in...chopped and modded but in...more info and pictures a little later.

Please, tell us why you switched to an electric fan. I have been contemplating this mod for years, but can't convince myself that it is really better.

Please, tell us why you switched to an electric fan. I have been contemplating this mod for years, but can't convince myself that it is really better.

cause I gave him one is why. :D

Scott, I have no doubt it will free up power, and save fuel. Do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drove back to manhattan and haven't had a chance to check mileage I will on the next tank. It does heat up much more quickly, like a mile or so and the truck is beginning to put out heat. Also, viscous fans drag ALOT. My truck revs more freely and is quieter now that I don't have a belt driven fan. Also, it will make the water pump last long, no fan hanging on the end.

Hopefully, this evening I will get more pics and begin describing the install.

Back