Dash illumination color

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Hey guys, I can't stand my green dash colors anymore. I want to change the color to white, but not a yellow type of white, a bright white color. I know I can accomplish this with LEDs, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I know that the bulbs behind the gauges are just regular bulbs with green caps over them. Does anyone know what # these bulbs are? And if so, can I go to Radioshack and get LEDs that will screw right into these bulb spots, or will I have to solder them in?

Anybody with a little knowledge of dash illumination, please chime in here. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about the bulbs behind the spedometer accesories or the ones around the radio bezzle? I know the ones behind the speedometer are easily replaced....as for the ones in the bezzle I couldn't figure that one out.

194 is the number bulb for the speedo stuff....just pops out

Ok wow, 194s are pretty common as far as bulbs go. I could just swap in some white LEDs in there behind the dash and be done with it right?

Thanks for the info.

I think the bulbs I pulled out of there were clear though which makes me think that the green color was in the assembly itself? Someone please chime in here if I'm wrong.

Hmm, I'll have to find a way to get around that.

I'm assuming that the 194 bulbs are the wedge type? Also, do you know how many are back there?

Quite a few. I think I bought 10 bulbs to do my HVAC and the speedo guage cluster.

Originally posted by Arnie897
194 is the number bulb for the speedo stuff....just pops out

What I meant was wedge type bulb....still learning the terms

Ok, so there are less than 10 behind the gauges?

THere may be more but I think some of these are for the warning lights, turnsignals....stuff like that.

Oh ok, I just want to concentrate on the gauges themselves. I just found some awesome LEDs on eBay that I'm gonna try. Hopefully, the gauges themselves don't have the green color in them.

the gauges themselves have to have the color in them because when i repaced my water temp gauge all the bulbs were clear.

There's 6 bulbs for gauge and needle illumination and 19 smaller ones for the dummy lights.

The green color comes mainly from the black gauge overlays. There's a blue layer in the middle and combined with the "yellowish" standard bulb it makes a green. Remember the ziplock commercial "Yellow and blue make green!" ;)

I put white led 194 bulbs in and it make the gauges more bluish.

Since I put white overlays on, I took most of the bulbs out.

Now I'm working on changing the needle colors.

Found some of my old picts.

Here's an open cluster with white LED's and stock bulbs. You can see the color difference.

Attachments

• gauge_leds2.jpg
    gauge_leds2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 487

Thanks a lot harry. Do you have any aftershots with the white LEDs and the gauges installed?

It's a little blury because of the exposure. Also it's a lot brighter because of the long exposure.

LED's on the left and center. Stockers on the right.

See the bulb placement in the picture of the open cluster above.

Attachments

• 108-0890_img.jpg
    108-0890_img.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 453

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm interesting. I've gotta find a way around the blue gauges to make them white.

Back