Dash illumination color | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dash illumination color

Don't forget to check them before you button the cluster up. Sometimes the bulbs take current one way (cause they're diodes). You may have to take it out and spin them 180 degrees and then they'll work.

BBQ- Sent you a PM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to get to the 194s to swap them out for LEDs... do u actually unscrew the gauge cluster from behind or sumthing or do you just go in from the front and remove all needles?? thnx in advance

There are four screws that hold the actual cluster in. You take those out, remove the gear indicator, disconnect the wires in back and thats it. The bulbs are on the back of the gauge cluster, and twist out.

Originally posted by Hartman
Hmm interesting. I've gotta find a way around the blue gauges to make them white.

I like the look of the blue gauges, thats what want. My question is, instead of LEDs, would "hyperwhite" type bulbs work just as well to make the blue effect? Also, I would like to make the needles light up red. Is there a way I could make them red, like maybe put a red "film" between the bulb and the needle?

And, to remove the gauges, do I need to remove the 4 screws and that s it or is there more to it than that? Please give details as how to remove the gauges and replace bulbs. I am really interested in doing this, so please advise of any info.

Thanks,
Michael

also, it said there were 6 194s but in the pic i only count 4?? ive got an 03 sport so im not sure what im gonna see when i look back there or else id order the bulbs or LEDs. wheres a good place to buy these locally?? radioshack?autozone? etc

Back