Dash illumination color | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dash illumination color

Maybe lightly scratch out the blue from the back? Could always make a set of your own.

Here's some more pictures I just took that might help.

Attachments

• img_2658.jpg
    img_2658.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 325

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm I can't think of a good way to do it. Maybe I'll just have to get some aftermarket gauges to pull off the look. I wanted to keep this low-budget, but I think that's the only way to do it.

That is an option, but I'm worried about the quality.

you could light up the area around the gauges instead of lighting up the gauges themselfs
such as buying some leds and installin them around the perimeter of the gauges...then using a relay using power from the stock lighting and removing the stock bulbs..
i don't know just a thought

Originally posted by Harry5150
It's a little blury because of the exposure. Also it's a lot brighter because of the long exposure.

LED's on the left and center. Stockers on the right.

See the bulb placement in the picture of the open cluster above.

Where did you get those white LED blubs? I just had a bulb go so I need to get in there, but I may replace it with all LED's if I can get that blue color.:)

Cool, how many do you need to change them all?

I am working on making my stock gauges red right now, and to do that, you scrape the color tint off the back of the gauge face, and paint them with glass paint. You could just scrape the tint off and change the bulbs to get the real white light you are looking for. They will be bright though. Thay have white glass paint, so that might be able to get rid of the brightness. Just an idea.

Here's the link: http://www.generation-edge.com/forums/gaugecolor.asp

Sweet I'm gonna try that.

I have a bulb question about this.

You know the bulb that flashes in the dash for theft? That bulb itself is different from the others. I know the 914's and then there are the smaller bulbs that do the seatbelt, highbeams, etc. There are 2 kinds of those bulbs with the one that goes to the theft being the brightest and cleanest one of them all.

I wonder could we get that bulb replacement and use it in the other sockets for the seatbelt, highbeams, etc?

HotDogs

The bulb in the THEFT location is a flashing red LED. You could replace other bulbs with it, but they would be red and flashing all the time. I personally wouldn't do it.

The bulb in the THEFT location is a flashing red LED. You could replace other bulbs with it, but they would be red and flashing all the time. I personally wouldn't do it.

I looked at mine and it is a clear bulb, not red. The base socket is somewhat different though. I wonder if that bulb is the flasher, or is it the base socket that it sits in? If it is just the base, then the bulb could be replaced and put into the other base sockets and inserted in there required holes.

I hope that made sence?

HotDogs

The bulb lights up red, because the stock gauge faces don't have ant tint over the theft area. It is clear, so in order for it to light up red, the led is red. I know it looks clear, but not all led's light up the color that they are. I am going to assume that the led is a flashing one. If you took the base off and compared it to a standard led you would hardly be able to tell the difference.

All in all, I don't think it will work. Your best bet is to buy some led's and solder them in yourself.

You are 100% correct on that. Thanks for getting my thoughts straight. LOL.

Now, do those 194LED's go right into the socket or is there some special stuff that has to be done to make them work? Soldering, etc.

HotDogs

Originally posted by BBQ_HotDogs
Now, do those 194LED's go right into the socket or is there some special stuff that has to be done to make them work? Soldering, etc.

HotDogs

Should pop right in :cool: Just a standard 194 socket.

There is a pic on the first page showing a comparison between bulb and LED installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should get going on my gauges, but I need to get more paint.

Back