Dash wiring problem.. need help... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dash wiring problem.. need help...

98xlt2wd

Reaction score
City, State
Magnolia, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
My first question is, Is there any significant difference between 2wd 1998 Explorer dash wiring and 4wd 2001 dash wiring other than the 4x4 switch?

I just installed a 2001 EB 4wd dash wiring in replacement of my 1998 2wd xlt dash wiring (I'm talking about the whole wiring bundle). I bought one off Ebay complete with all the sensors and switches connected. I also installed the AC/Heater switch (the digital one) and computer console from the same truck.

Now I'm having some issues with my truck. The first thing is my left and right turn signals (blinkers) are not working at all. Is there any particular switches, or fuse that I need to check or replace?

Second, now my engine light is on. Is it because of wiring differences of I just messed something up?

Third, my airbag light is on. But I think that just because of the difference in the wiring plug module head sytle. I cant connect that to my original module. Do you thing is best to find a module from 2001 Explorer?

Fourth, my automatic AC/Heater Control is not working properly. Do you think just by replacing the whole wiring bundle from EB that has that control would not automatically make the unit work on my vehicle also? Or do I need to make other modifications?

Fifth, the fuel-left reading on my vehicle in not reading correctly. Now is showing 11 galons left, but I don't remember putting any 11 galons in my tank. The millage-to-go goes down as I drive the truck. I will try to put full tank tonight and see how many gallons left in my tank.

Everything else is working properly. All other switches, lights, and radio are working properly. My truck starts right up after I'm done connecting all the wiring (or so I thought). My main concern that makes me to put this thread under 911 thread is to fix the turn signals. I'm affraid that I will get pulled over because of that.

I know we have some wiring experts in this forum. Please help me. I'm no expert but I know a little on how to work on cars. Sorry for the long thread, any help is greatly appriciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why did you replace the wiring?

Some basic advice would be to use your old wiring harness and modules, switches, etc. Add circuts to the old harness instead of using the new harness.

RiverRat said:
Why did you replace the wiring?

Some basic advice would be to use your old wiring harness and modules, switches, etc. Add circuts to the old harness instead of using the new harness.

I guess I was just being "smart" or doing some sort of experiment. I was just thinking that if I replace the whole wiring, I dont have to do any wire modifications anymore. I guess I was wrong?? Should I just use my old wirings again? or can I do something to make my wirings work on my truck?

In my experience, putting a 96 Explorer 5.0 into a 96 ranger and helping a friend with a 01 SOHC 4.0 into a 96 ranger, I can tell you that swapping different year or model wire harnesses leads to trouble.

The thing here is to get out the EVTMs for each vehicle and work circut by circut, taking your time. I tried swapping entire wire harnesses over and soon found out that more things didn't work than did. :eek:

RiverRat said:
In my experience, putting a 96 Explorer 5.0 into a 96 ranger and helping a friend with a 01 SOHC 4.0 into a 96 ranger, I can tell you that swapping different year or model wire harnesses leads to trouble.

The thing here is to get out the EVTMs for each vehicle and work circut by circut, taking your time. I tried swapping entire wire harnesses over and soon found out that more things didn't work than did. :eek:

I was swapping dash wiring from 01 Explorer SOHC into 98 Explorer SOHC. Thats what made me think that everything will work just fine. So do you think I should better off reinstalling my old wiring instead of making the new one to work on my truck?

I would stick with the old wiring. Did you add any new features to your truck that would require the new wire harness?

RiverRat said:
I would stick with the old wiring. Did you add any new features to your truck that would require the new wire harness?

The only things that I added were the Automatic AC/Heater Control and Message Center from the same truck.

Back