deamon3's Jurassic Park explorer build thread | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

deamon3's Jurassic Park explorer build thread

That's because you have the manual 5 speed trans.

OK. You may have a point there. I had a pathfinder with a 3.0 and a 5-speed and it felt fast. I guess I've just always driven manuals. Still, all the more reason to fix the engine and swap in that M5OD from a ranger or something...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just ran into the thread and think this thing is awesome. But I really think you should check into what Naasau said. My truck was in somewhat dire shape running wise as yours is, it was rough idling, tons of rust, hiccuped on the highway and showed 37000 on the odometer. I thought it was a bad running vehicle for such low mileage, 137000. Come to find out its on its at least 3rd starter, leading me to believe it had at least 237000 miles on it when I got it. Adding another 100k explained a lot of the little problems that made it look like a bad vehicle.

Why don't you try to sell it? Or buy a used manual trans?

It would totally rock to convert an automatic to manual! You'd also get a few more MPG.

Oh man, so cool!

You've inspired me to search for a cheap explorer. While a wait, I purchased. Matchbox haha, can't go wrong with $1. I plan on using an actual paint gun, no way I can rattle can like you can. Here's my few hours of work. I'm buying a few paint brushes later on today after work and fixing some of the yellow around the bumper. Then I need to find a way to keep the masking tape from bleeding. Any tips on that? How did you keep your full scale from bleeding?
Body: http://i.imgur.com/oVb6b.jpg
Interior (the pillars on the inside will match the interior): http://i.imgur.com/XmaOk.jpg
Bumpers (paint bleeding will have to be removed and detail added): http://i.imgur.com/fjYiW.jpg
So far: http://i.imgur.com/Dc5wE.jpg

you realize that's a 4runner model...?

There is a lot to be said for good quality masking tape and applying it carefully. Would be very difficult to do with large pieces of tape on a scale model.

Haha yes, I know. I didn't go looking for something to paint. I just happened to see it at Target while browsing the AirHog section. It isn't an Explorer and I couldnt find a matchbox/hot wheels/or and other brand that was. It is extremely similar to the ex and even came with yellow similar style rims : D. You sir know your vehicles though. The green is also off a few shades, but it's what I had. Op has me addicted to this paint scheme, this'll hold me over.

What brand of masking tape have you had good results with?

Deamon3,

Have you ever fixed your Ex yet? I am working on starting my own Jurassic Explorer soon. I finally bought a vehicle, actually two, to build one from.

It would be a shame to see your hard work rot away in the barn.

No , this vehicle is still broken. Finding a shop to transplant a new engine and transmission for cheap really isn't possible.

The barn is the only thing KEEPING the car from getting ruined. Although I'm not sure how my build would effect yours so have at it.

I agree, at least it's covered. The weather plays hell with any type of machine setting outside.

I am working with a friend of mine who may be able to help make the roof panel. He has a contact in the Acrylics industry who works in the R&D dept. I'm not even sure which company she works for.

They may use my project as a test of some of their products. I will just need to design it and maybe make the plug, but I am waiting on them to contact me. I plan on using thier clear panel, and making the rest from plywood and fiberglass. I think the hardest part will be making the black "vent" on the back of the top.

I didn't know if you would be interested in one for your project. I have no idea what the time frame would be or the cost, but its out there at the very least. As soon as I have some solid idea, I can post here to let you know. It would be the crown finish on your truck.

Congrats to you for making it this far, this is a project I have been wanting to do for years.

I re-read alot of this thread, I have dealt with stubborn EGR tubes on my explorers as well. I understand your pain.

Two of my 94s had tubes that rusted through. I had to cut the nut on the manifold and heat it to get it to spin off. Then replaced the tube and valve as a set. The other I replaced the manifold up, I boogered the manifold trying to drill out the broken bolts, and quite frankly it was worth the $60 to me just to put a new one on.

The reason you can't just delete the EGR, is that the PCM is tuned for it and the control of that system. Being a 94, your truck has california emissions on it standard. This includes EGR and a Cam position sensor. This system was optional in 93 on 49 state vehicles.

The only way to engineer around it would be to block the ports, replace the PCM with a '93 federal emissions unit with auto trans and possibly the engine wiring harness because of pin locations, although it could be made to work. I can get you a part number of the PCM if you wish. A 91-92 will not work because they only had one O2 sensor, and the 49 state 93s had two and pin locations/wiring harnesses are different.

I think your engine is fine as long as it doesn't knock or have the common lifter/pushrod tick, you just have some fuel/air control issues. I would also look closely at vacuum lines. This can make a big difference in how the truck performs. Intake tubes were bad about tearing on the bottom at the flex area on either end.

Hopefully this helps you.

I haven't been under the hood of this truck in at least a year or two.

The egr was eventually replaced , and didn't change anything.

I believe the entire transmission is bad , along with the trans cooling system and the engine will need some form of overhaul or replacement. When I last moved it , it barely went into drive.

My new plan as of lately is to buy a new explorer thats working as it's actually cheaper then paying for repair on the current one. I will either have the engine/trans swapped , or use the original build for parts.

And yes , i would be interested in a roof. I believe cyrix already has them made by now. It's been months since I last asked him about it and he was relatively close then.

I also considered a much easier idea for a roof being simply melting a piece of plexiglass over a modified fiberglass van roof. Or cutting an industrial skylight cover in half.

I didn't know any one else was working on this, at least the roof panel. I will have to search that name and see if I can find some posts. I will let you know on the roof.

I totally understand about the costs involved. It hasn't been until the last few months that I have been in a position to do any of my car projects. This junk has been lying around for a few years now until I could recover from a layoff in 2009. Now I'm motivated more than ever to get this crap done.

Thats cool, thanks for the info. I'm gonna check that out.

I'm going to look at a 94 EB tomorrow at a dealer and possibly use my 97 as a trade in for it.

They wouldnt take my 97 as a trade in because it was in way too poor condition , I'd have to agree with them lol.

Just bought a '93 XLT and conversion to a JP tour vehicle begins soon! I'm excited to join the club.

So cyrix was working on a bubble roof/roofs!? I've tried numerous times to contact him in the last few months with questions but can't seem to reach him online. I'd love to get my hands on dat bubble for my build.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you guys will be happy to know I'm going to continue this project despite the engine. I figure if it's a replica it really doesn't have to have a working gas engine anyway. lol.

I'm getting nowhere by asking cyrix for a roof. I'm going to have to make my own with a wood form and a heatgun.

But I started off already buying the tv's for the interior yesterday. they are 9" production color crt's used in the movie.

Back