deamon3's Jurassic Park explorer build thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

deamon3's Jurassic Park explorer build thread

deamon3

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
jurassicparkjeep1.jpg

I bought my explorer almost two years ago with the intention of painting it like the jurassic park explorers from the first movie. However , this was my only car and never had the ability to do this and still be able to get around. That's all changed now I've bought a honda , and my ex has been sitting for a week or two waiting for it's overhaul.

This is what I'm starting with

pict7294.jpg

Don't let the picture fool you. I bought this for 800$ at a dealer , it has LOTS of bondo and hidden rust , the transmission and brakes are very poor as well. I wouldn't do this to a nice explorer , but this one is the perfect candidate. The interior is already the tan color it needs to be. The front end will be changed back to the stock look as I saved all the old parts. Now I'm not exactly rich so this will basically start as a paintjob , follow by the accessories later as I gain funds. I'm going to be using rattle cans since they're cheap , and I don't really have access to a real spray gun.

here's the beginning of the sanding

pict7292.jpg

If it looks like the rear quarter and rear driver side door is sanded a lot more then the drivers door , it's because it is. I didn't realize I didn't have to push down so hard on the sander , I was going through sand paper really quick.

pict7295.jpg

pict7297.jpg

I just used some medium priced white primer to start with. That's as far as I got today before the sun went down. Much more to come , gotta get this whole car primed!:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you gonna go the whole way and make a Bubble roof for it?

Why all the sanding and why primer? Primer isn't necessary over existing paint unless you take it down to bare metal.

Look forward to seeing the progress. Some guys have even gotten a decent job using an airless sprayer from a hardware store. If you use rattle cans, make sure you use a base/clear system. Most rattle can paint will oxidize pretty fast.

I'm using the white primer so the paint will stand out more , the colors are real bright (yellows,greens) so I don't want it to be on top of a real dark color like black.

Not to mention in alota spot where I'm sanding it is going down to the bare metal really easily.

Hmm...got yourself a real good project there. Good luck, and keep us updated. Sounds like you will have yourself a good looking explorer when your done :thumbsup:
Once you get to spraying you will want to use a real sprayer, because spray paint doesnt look to great after its painted on there.

Ok, I get the white primer, but if the factory paint (or whatever you're spraying over) is decent enough, just scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad. You can do it by hand and have a door done in like 10 min. Don't need to go that deep just to change color. You just need to give the paint a alittle tooth to bond to.

Don't get me wrong, I think your idea is awesome. Just trying to save you a bit of paint and a bit of effort. Those patches where you've cut through the paint right down to metal need to be feathered out or they are really gonna show up when you get some gloss over them.

more more more!!!
subscribing...

Ok, I get the white primer, but if the factory paint (or whatever you're spraying over) is decent enough, just scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad. You can do it by hand and have a door done in like 10 min. Don't need to go that deep just to change color. You just need to give the paint a alittle tooth to bond to.

Don't get me wrong, I think your idea is awesome. Just trying to save you a bit of paint and a bit of effort. Those patches where you've cut through the paint right down to metal need to be feathered out or they are really gonna show up when you get some gloss over them.

He's got a good idea to prime it. My buddy's beamer that me and him are painting we are priming the whole car, makes it look better. Don't mess with whats already good.
KPSquared...
You have a good point about those patched areas...good advice there :thumbsup:

Here's probably a helpful post, at least in my opinion...get the harbor freight air sprayer.
Alright so some of you know Ive been painting my truck the last week, and I was going to wait to show it off at T-haven...But I know you all can't wait and I'm to proud of my hard work:D

So here are some pictures I took with my cell phone.

JP_Truck_High.jpg

JP_Truck_Side.jpg

Still have more to do, need to remount the front bumper, wetsand the whole truck and put on the JP logos when they get here..

The entire paint job was done using a $10 air sprayer from Harbor Freight and Rustoleum paint. The green I actually custom made, as no color was available like that.;)

Here is the original...in case you forgot:p:

jurassic%20park%20explorer.jpg

Where did that grill and headlights come from???? I want some like that!

Why all the sanding and why primer? Primer isn't necessary over existing paint unless you take it down to bare metal.

Look forward to seeing the progress. Some guys have even gotten a decent job using an airless sprayer from a hardware store. If you use rattle cans, make sure you use a base/clear system. Most rattle can paint will oxidize pretty fast.

even the high quality rattle can paint only lasts about a year here in CA before it's powdery and coming off. i used to rattle can everything as well.. to the point that after one rattle can paint job my finger was numb for almost two days.. i wasn't sure if i was even gonna get feeling back!!

...then i discovered i can get a HVLP spray guy from harbor freight for about 30 bux.. it's 1000X better than rattle cans, i can use real paint that doesn't go bad, it's way easier to apply. if i were you i'd spend the 30 bux and get the paint gun before you do all this work. you're going to kick yourself in a year when it's gone bad.

I found it easier to just remover the rear cargo windows, but I guess after breaking a few, I'm comfortable with that

Bit of progress made today. Funny , even though it's white primer when the back end is all one color like that it already is starting to look like it.

pict7300a.jpg

pict7302.jpg

So far looks like your doing an excellent job! :biggthump

Little by little I'm getting more primed. I had to add even more bondo to the already very bondoed up rear end. I have also decided not to prime the roof as the roof color is going to be dark red so it won't need that lighter base color. That and it'll save me from buying more primer.

pict7304.jpg

pict7305.jpg

You're doing a good job priming it. Keep up the good work and you'll have a darn good jurrassic park look-alike.

bubble roof! bubble roof! bubble roof!

Good stuff! Jurassic Park is one of the first things I thought of when I got my X! I may have to copy you... Guys, Daemon3 may not have an air compressor for a paint sprayer.

I did a motorcycle's paint with rattle can: grey primer, gloss black rustoleum (top quality), and high-quality clear coat (2 coats). It came out gorgeous! I don't know how long it lasted though because I sold it shortly after.

RD40003.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Granted, a motorcycle has a lot less to paint than an Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back