• Register Today It's free!

Defrost won't transfer fully

Booeya4319

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ford Explorer EB
My 01 Explorer has been great. The only issue I am having now is that the air flow to the defroster is only at 50% volume
If i'm in the floor mode and I go to defrost, it goes in to defrost mode but 1/2 of the air is still coming from the floor. Likewise if i'm in vent and I go defrost 50% of the airflow continues to come out of the dash vents?
Any ideas guys?
I will pull codes from the ATC when I get the truck back from my wife this evening but in the meantime I'm hoping someone has run across this before.

Booey

My 01 Explorer has been great. The only issue I am having now is that the air flow to the defroster is only at 50% volume
If i'm in the floor mode and I go to defrost, it goes in to defrost mode but 1/2 of the air is still coming from the floor. Likewise if i'm in vent and I go defrost 50% of the airflow continues to come out of the dash vents?
Any ideas guys?
I will pull codes from the ATC when I get the truck back from my wife this evening but in the meantime I'm hoping someone has run across this before.

Booey

Sounds like something might be partially blocking the door that shifts the airflow up to the defroster.

I'm having a similar issue with my 99 Explorer OHV. It has hot heat and cold air but the defroster doesn't seem to be putting much of anything out. It seems to be coming out of the panel vents and floor but not the defroster even when i have it set to defrost only. And i also have a lot of noise on top of the dash. (Vacuum cleaner!!)

it could be leaky o-rings or a bad solenoid inside the ETAC module or a actuator/door related problem inside the heater box.

Back