Desperatly seeking A/C help... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Desperatly seeking A/C help...

Alright, Im going out tomorrow and buying parts since I finaly came into a lil bit of money. Although, I do want to make sure I buy the right parts. Earlier in the post, it was a debate if my fan was running and I questioned stalking someone to compare theyre fan to mine. Well, on my way home yesterday, I was driving down the road, saw someone pull of into theyre drive way, did a uturn, turned on stalk mode, and went for it. Funny thing is, My fan required more effort to turn then his, had more tention and everything, and his AC works perfectly.

So, what I planned on doing was just going to buy a condenser and hope I dont waste my money and that fixes it. But i wanted to see if theres any tricks on testing each part. From my understanding, these are the following parts in the system, and maybe yall can tell me a way to test em.

Starting from compressor, high side

Compressor-Bought new
Pipe with half coke can filter from compressor to condenser-cleaned with brake cleaner, the sprayed with air compressor
condensor-sprayed air through, but air came out alot less powerfull then going in
pipe from condenser to evaporator,- sprayed air through
orface tube- bought new
evaporator- brake cleaner and sprayed air through
dryer/ecumulator- bought new
pipe from dryer to compressor-brake cleaner, sprayed air through

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i hope you get it fixed man cause your problem had me stumped. let me know

Ive never felt so helpless is all I can say. We gave up alot to get this car because of the situation we are in, and the amount ive wasted trying to get it working, i could of bought something else.

At this time, I have replaced the entire system as of yesterday and getting same results.
Compressor, condenser, evaporator, orface tube, dryer/accumulator, filled with synthetic expensive crap, new fan blade cause old one had cracks, and still at the same spot as when I started.

Hey Areonic1:
Sounds like you have spent a great deal of money. The a/c system function is a simple one but the problems from the control system can be extremely difficult to diagnose. Changing parts without knowing if they are functioning is the expensive way to fix it, if at all. Don't change any more parts. Check each component to see if it is working properly.
Have you checked the air mix door that controlls the temperature? This is a door inside the unit that will move as you adjust the temperature. Get a manual for your vehicle and look thru it so you can identify the a/c components. As you move the control the the door will move accordingly. Read up on a/c function and control so you can understand how it works. It's difficult to repair something if you do not have a good understanding of how it works.

its not just the blend door his compressor keeps shutting off.

on accumulator systems the compressor cycles to maintain the correct pressure/temp.

The blend door might be worth investigating.

Hey, Buttinski here.

I used to work on medical systems many years ago (50 or more.I'm getting forgetful). But what seems to be missing in all your back and forths is the fact that A/C systems won't work properly if the system is not completely purged of air before adding the freon. Even a small bit of air has some humidity and that turns to ICE as the system begins to cool . Ice will block the flow of freon. The system needs to be vacuumed.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Also worth mentioning that you shouldn't mix Freon, R134a, and R12. Before you "switch" from one coolant to another you should have it vacuumed. Bring it to any reputable HVAC shop and they should be able to do it/

Back