Deteriorated Body Mounts | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deteriorated Body Mounts

When I did my body lift that kit said to torque the bolts down to 100 ft. lbs.. Not sure if it amkes a difference. Just a heads up.

Groovy. Thanks for the info and heads up. Like you I am not sure if it makes a difference but just doing a mount replacement here so me thinks maybe 60 ft/lbs would be cool for now. But, if anyone know otherwise please let me know and I will get down to putting a little more torque on them bad boys. Always open for suggestions and learning. BTW, gonna see if I can get these pics to upload here.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/ratman12/Sport Trac/DSCF1403.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/ratman12/Sport Trac/DSCF1405.jpg

Both of these are on the drivers side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good info! Did you have a hard time splitting the metal sleeves apart?

Good info! Did you have a hard time splitting the metal sleeves apart?

Thanks. Actually it was fairly simple. I threaded the bolt back up into the bottom sleeve from the underside of the truck. Then you take a 10" to 12" punch/alignment tool and poke it through the top and gently tap it with a hammer (well, I say gently :D) and it should free itself. They say nothing works better than a 20 lb. sledge and that is right. LOL Anyways took it for a 20 minute trip last night and it was amazing at how quiet that Sport Trac was. Even went over some speed bumps at a low rate of speed (5 to 10 mph) and had no squeaking and/or creaking.

I finally have the popping noise from the body mounts. At first I thought it was a tie rod end or something I screwed up when I changed my rack and pinion. I guess I'm glad it's the body mounts.

I have a set of OEM replacements sitting in the garage, just waiting for the time to get them on.

I finally have the popping noise from the body mounts. At first I thought it was a tie rod end or something I screwed up when I changed my rack and pinion. I guess I'm glad it's the body mounts.

I have a set of OEM replacements sitting in the garage, just waiting for the time to get them on.

Where'd you get these from? Did you buy as a set, or all seperate?

Oem Bushings from Tousley Ford

OFFTRAC, when you say you have a full set of OEM body bushings from Tousley Ford, how many bushings did you purchase and how much did they cost? A couple of weeks ago, Tousley Ford quoted me $471.80 for the upper and lower bushings for six locations (a total of 12 upper and lower bushings), not the front or rear pairs of bushings. We have a Sport, not a Sport Trac, and our Sport has a total of 5 pairs of bushings. Are you planning to replace them youself or have you found someone who will do the work for you?
I replaced the rear bushings 18 months ago and the front bushings are made of rubber or some other material, other than the sorry foam urethane material used for the rest of the bushings.

The new Ford bushings are made of the same foam urethane. I find a lot of posts on forum members talking about how they replaced Sport Trac bushings, but have not found much about the Sport. I bought the Daystar bushings for $160 to save money and have not replaced them yet, but still am concerned about how noisey and rough the ride may be with the Daystar bushings. They will have to be better than the worn out and missing ones on the Sport now!!

There's 8 total: 4 each upper and lower for the cab. I will be doing them myself. After doing the body lift myself, I'm comfortable with this job. Not excited, but comfortable.

They were $220 in 2010 from Tousley but I bought them from the original purchases for $115 shipped.

OFFTRAC, when you say you have a full set of OEM body bushings from Tousley Ford, how many bushings did you purchase and how much did they cost? A couple of weeks ago, Tousley Ford quoted me $471.80 for the upper and lower bushings for six locations (a total of 12 upper and lower bushings), not the front or rear pairs of bushings. We have a Sport, not a Sport Trac, and our Sport has a total of 5 pairs of bushings. Are you planning to replace them youself or have you found someone who will do the work for you?
I replaced the rear bushings 18 months ago and the front bushings are made of rubber or some other material, other than the sorry foam urethane material used for the rest of the bushings.

The new Ford bushings are made of the same foam urethane. I find a lot of posts on forum members talking about how they replaced Sport Trac bushings, but have not found much about the Sport. I bought the Daystar bushings for $160 to save money and have not replaced them yet, but still am concerned about how noisey and rough the ride may be with the Daystar bushings. They will have to be better than the worn out and missing ones on the Sport now!!

Good morning. Yes the Daystar are so much better than I had anticipated. I did mine on a 2001 Sport Trac. Only did the eight (8) under the cab.
By the way, can anyone recommend a brand of shocks for the front and rear? Don't really need a super shock just something in the line of an OEM or either an aftermarket. Thanks and ya'll have a good day.

You don't want anything in the way of OEM when it comes to shocks on the Sport Trac; they were terrible. You'd probably like Monroe SensaTracs or Napa's version of the same shock for a lower price.

Where can you buy all the hardware needed (bolts and such) at good prices?
What exactly do I need to buy (bolts and such) grade of bolts, how many, what lenghts?
Are all the ST body bolts the same?
I just want to buy all the hardware new and get the body mounts then take it to my body shop and have them replace everything with new and be done with it! Having to beat things apart just adds to the bill this way might be cheaper in the long run!

Hardware for Use with Daystar Body Bushings

I checked with the local Ford dealer in Atlanta last week for the cost of the bolts and washers to use in replacing the worn-out body bushings on our 2001 Explorer Sport. In 6/10 when the rear bushings were replaced, the Ford dealer sold me the wrong bolts which were shorter and were for the side bushings and charged $3.25 for each bolt. Now the same side bushing bolt at the Ford dealer costs $10.95 each, and the washer still costs $1.95 each. Now tell me why the cost of manufacturing a bolt would have tripled in less than two years? Because they can and will rip you off, if possible!!

If the bolts and washers need to be replaced at the 6 side bushing locations on our Sport, the cost just for these parts will be $82.04, inc. tax. And since the bolts and washers have to be special ordered, there will be a 20% restocking charge if returned - insult to injury!! Since the bolts and washers in the rear bushings on our Sport were not rusted, and my mechanic did not damage them when getting the old bushings out, I hope the side bushings will be in the same shape after removal. I still fear that the sleeves on the old bushings may be damaged during removal, and then you would not have anything to mount the new Daystar bushings on. I still cannot bring myself to pay Ford $500-600 for just the side bushings. I think that Ford should at least keep the cost of their bushings at a reasonable level, since this is a widespread problem for many loyal Sport and Sport Trac owners and a safety issue as well!!

Daystar Body Bushing Installed Finally

Yesterday a mechanic that primarily does mods on 4 wheel vehicles installed the Daystar bushings on our 2001 Explorer Sport that has 143,000 miles. All of the original lower Ford bushings had disappeared or almost disappeared, and most of the upper ones were still intact, but these crumbled easily when removed. The front ones were in great shape, but were made of a rubber material. I told the mechanic to go ahead and replace all of the bushings with the new Daystar bushings, so that the same type of bushings would be in all locations, including the new Ford bushings that were replaced about 2 yrs. ago.

It took the mechanic about 4 1/2 hours for the job and he used a lift, a small block of 2x4 wood to separate the body from the frame, propane torch, and air impact wrench. He did not remove the front seats, as I had expected him to do to be able to get to the the second and third row of bushings. He said the front bushings were easy to remove and replace. The sleeves and bolts on the old bushings were in very good shape after removal. The Sport has always been in Atlanta, so there was minimal rust on the sleeves and bolts. He applied heat to the bottom sleeves to get the bottom bushings/bolts to let go of the bolts. He put silicone grease on all new bushings and did not put any locktite on bolts, as he said the bolts still had plenty of the original Ford locktite. I do not know if that was wise decision or not. He did not torque each bolt, but said the air impact wrench would have torqued the bolts to 100-150 ft. lbs. in his judgment. He suggested that I might want to retighten the bolts in 500 miles, as the instructions said.

Well, the good news is that in the 40 mile drive back home the awful noise from the front bushing near the drive side footwell is gone and it overall rides so much better than it was - even takes speed bumps better. There is a creaking sound coming from the rear end when going over bumps, but I am not sure that is a bushing problem, as I think I was hearing a similar sound before the installation. Except for the front footwell bushing on driver side, before the new bushings were installed, there were not any noises coming from the other bushings yet, but it was only a matter of time due to the badly deteriorating bushings. By the way, the mechanic originally quoted $430 labor for the job, as he predicted it would take him about 6 hrs. He reduced it down to $300 and I happily paid him and was on my merry way!!

Daystar bushings installed

Yesterday a mechanic that primarily does mods on 4 wheel vehicles installed the Daystar bushings on our 2001 Explorer Sport that has 143,000 miles. All of the original lower Ford bushings had disappeared or almost disappeared, and most of the upper ones were still intact, but these crumbled easily when removed. The front ones were in great shape, but were made of a rubber material. I told the mechanic to go ahead and replace all of the bushings with the new Daystar bushings, so that the same type of bushings would be in all locations, including the new Ford bushings that were replaced about 2 yrs. ago.

It took the mechanic about 4 1/2 hours for the job and he used a lift, a small block of 2x4 wood to separate the body from the frame, propane torch, and air impact wrench. He did not remove the front seats, as I had expected him to do to be able to get to the the second and third row of bushings. He said the front bushings were easy to remove and replace. The sleeves and bolts on the old bushings were in very good shape after removal. The Sport has always been in Atlanta, so there was minimal rust on the sleeves and bolts. He applied heat to the bottom sleeves to get the bottom bushings/bolts to let go of the bolts. He put silicone grease on all new bushings and did not put any locktite on bolts, as he said the bolts still had plenty of the original Ford locktite. I do not know if that was wise decision or not. He did not torque each bolt, but said the air impact wrench would have torqued the bolts to 100-150 ft. lbs. in his judgment. He suggested that I might want to retighten the bolts in 500 miles, as the instructions said.

Well, the good news is that in the 40 mile drive back home the awful noise from the front bushing near the drive side footwell is gone and it overall rides so much better than it was - even takes speed bumps better. There is a creaking sound coming from the rear end when going over bumps, but I am not sure that is a bushing problem, as I think I was hearing a similar sound before the installation. Except for the front footwell bushing on driver side, before the new bushings were installed, there were not any noises coming from the other bushings yet, but it was only a matter of time due to the badly deteriorating bushings. By the way, the mechanic originally quoted $430 labor for the job, as he predicted it would take him about 6 hrs. He reduced it down to $300 and I happily paid him and was on my merry way!!

Im thinking about getting the Daystars bushing too..How are the Daystar bushings holding up for you and Did you ever find out what the rear noise was?

Daystar Body Bushings Installed on 2001 Explorer Sport

We had Daystar body bushings installed on our 2001 Explorer Sports several weeks ago. I had some real misgivings about installing Daystar vs. Ford bushings.

I drove the truck for the first time since the day that they were installed and was amazed at how much better the ride was, even when going over high speed bumps. I did not notice the noise coming from the rear end, so all is well! My son has been driving the Sport since the new bushings were replaced in front, rear and both sides, and he is very pleased with the results. Do not spend your hard -earned money on those ridiculously expensive Ford bushings. What royal rip-off artists those Ford dealers are for what they are charging for their bushings, and they are the same ones as the originals that fell apart!!!

Also, if you do not want to attempt the installation yourself, keep looking around for someone who will not also try to rip you off. The guy at an off road business did the installation in 5 hrs. by himself and charged $300. Several others wanted as hhigh as $650!!!

Hi all, I've looked high and low on a possible part number set for a 2002 S/T. Any ideas. I will make wood ones before I buy OEM.... :)

See posts #43 and up. No aftermarket kits available specifically for the Sport Trac.
You must also reuse the OEM hardware, or find comparable replacements if needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good morning. Yes the Daystar are so much better than I had anticipated. I did mine on a 2001 Sport Trac. Only did the eight (8) under the cab.
By the way, can anyone recommend a brand of shocks for the front and rear? Don't really need a super shock just something in the line of an OEM or either an aftermarket. Thanks and ya'll have a good day.

Do you remember the part # of your Daystar mounts? I ordered mine through 4wheelparts.com. I attempted to get them mounted this morning, but the mechanic said they were not the correct ones and called Daystar and was informed that they don't have a set for the Sport Trac. I have a 2001 also. What gives?

Back