Did I cut a wire? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did I cut a wire?

earlrengland

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I just installed a reman 5r55w in my 2002 Explorer. After about the second day of driving it, the O/D light came on, but the transmission shifted fine. The light would actually go out after about 5 miles or so, but gradually got to the point that it stayed on all the time. My OBDII scanner showed no issues with the unit, so I thought that I might have overfilled it when I installed it. Sure enough, I had about one quart to many in it. So I drained it down to the level that it needed to be, and the O/D light went back to blinking only when I started the truck, but then went back out after a short period of time. HOWEVER, I took the truck for an extended drive today to Indianapolis, which was about 160 miles one way. Everything seems to be ok until I tried driving home. I made it as far as Kokomo, when all of sudden the truck died for no reason, and it is now stuck in what seems like 4th gear, and I received the following error codes from my reader:

P0755-Solenoid B Malfunction
P0743-Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical
P0760-Solenoid C Malfunction
P0797-Transmission Concern
P1747-Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid - Short circuit
P1789-Transmission system problems

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to make sure the connector(s) going to the trans are ok (no bent pins, corroded contacts, etc) and that the wiring isn't damaged somewhere between the PCM and the trans. It sounds like an electrical issue to me.

Shortly after I posted my message, I went out and removed the wiring harness completely, and checked for any damage to the harness. There was no visible damage to the harness. I checked all the connectors, and to, no visible damage. The only other option now, is to do a continuity test on each individual wire, or just opt for a new harness. Which fuse should I check? That would be a likely candidate, since this happened ALL at once. Thanks guys!

I found the problem. After inspecting the harness and all of the fuses, I thought I'd have a look at the pin connections to the solenoid pack. Sure enough, one of the pins had broken, which caused the short to the system, so luckily I had a solenoid pack from my other transmission that had exploded. I took it out cleaned it thoroughly with brake cleaner, put it in my new transmission, and everything is fine now. Boy, the guys from the transmission shop that sold me the transmission is gonna hear it. I'm just glad it's fixed. Thanks again for all your help!

Glad you were able to fix it. :thumbsup:

Back