Differences between 2006, 2007, and 2008 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between 2006, 2007, and 2008 Explorer

lesteralonzo

Reaction score
What are the difference between the 2006, 2007, and 2008 Ford Explorer. I'm looking into the 4wd, XLT, either V6 or V8.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They're basically the same truck with very minor trim, badging and interior changes. I suppose the 2006's (being the first year) can be the considered the least desirable-they have no notch in the door panel armrest for closing the door (it doesn't bother me the least bit but it appears it bothered a lot of people-Ford put one in for 2007+). Also the rear ABS reluctor rings are stronger for 07+. If you really want to get picky, 2008 XLT's got body colored fender flares and bumpers as opposed to that textured grey stuff.

The big change is the radios. 2006's have no MP3 player jack (if you're into that) and navigation and sat radio did not come until later as well. Also, the Ford TripTunes Ipod adapter says it won't work for 2006's-however I have installed one in my 2006 and it does work but occasionally it quits working...the radio and CD work ok but the Ipod won't play, the radio illumination won't light up when you turn the lights on and the radio turns off right away when you turn the ignition off (it usually stays on until you open the door). If I pull the fuse out for the TripTunes and install it again all works fine.

Anyone know if the 08 XLT fender flares will fit an 06?

Lots of things were fixed 2008 mid-year, particularly the spark plugs. Then again, by now the original plugs should have been changed (assuming beyond 100,000 miles).
Seem like when they fixed the spark plug issue, they changed the color of the plug coils from black to brown. So, '06 and '07 will have black coils, '09 and '10 will be brown. If you can find an '08 with brown coils, that's a late model, and would be a good find.

As far as I can remember, the 2006 does not have the head airbags.

Back