Differences between years 1991-1994 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between years 1991-1994

What's your key fob look like? Mine was factory.

What I meant was that on the Limited trim, the auto headlights, keyless entry, and a few other goodies were either standard or unavailable on other trim levels.

Thought of another small difference over the years! They changed the markings on the climate control.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure I can find the key around somewhere if you need a picture, but it was just a black square about 1"x1" and two grey buttons on it. One button had a I on it, the other II. If I remember correctly, pressing I locked/unlocked the doors. Holding both I and II automatically started it. I always wondered what would happen if it didn't start right away. I have no idea if it had a security system. If it did, it never worked the 15+ years we had it.

That explains your EGR then, your truck is a late 93. As I recall, Ford ended production of 93 Explorers in 8/93, then resumed the line in 10/93 for the '94 models. Seems like I remember a thread with production dates here, but it could have been a long time ago.

2Stroke, I don't think that one's factory. I don't think they did remote start. Mine was square, had 3 buttons. Lock, Unlock, and a panic button. Programming was done with a "loose" (nothing hooked up to it) connector behind the removable panel in the left side of the cargo area by jumping it. It had an alarm, but my stereo still got stolen. :p

Factory fob looks like this: https://www.remotesremotes.com/Prod...=F_GQVT-3BTN&gclid=CJyBwK_4380CFQIRaQodfq4H4g

Oroginal only looked different in that it had the Ford logo. I'm almost positive your Viper is better. :p

When I google 94 explorer key fob, none of those look like mine. I guess it is aftermarket, but I have no idea when it was done (some time between 1994 and 2000), but I do know it does still work.

Here is the key fob from my 1994 Explorer XLT.
DSC_0086.jpg

Yup, aftermarket. But hey, it works!

On my 94, of which parts have late 93 to April 94 production dates, tire pressure sticker reads 30/35.

I have seen late 94 models with slightly different rear interior panels that have a blank where a switch was added on the 2nd gen. (Just noticed Jason94Sport stated this as well).

I notice you put that 93's got a camshaft position sensor. Being as they have batch fire fuel injection, I don't see the purpose, but on top of that, my 93 does NOT have a cam position sensor. It has the hole fore it, but just a rubber plug,

I notice you put that 93's got a camshaft position sensor. Being as they have batch fire fuel injection, I don't see the purpose, but on top of that, my 93 does NOT have a cam position sensor. It has the hole fore it, but just a rubber plug,

I think someone in here said that theirs did. If not, the spare engine I've got has 90TF heads, EGR and a hole for the cam sensor that is open. I don't know the history of the engine but I don't see why someone would remove the cam sensor hole plug to pull the engine, unless they were curious about it afterwards. Also, RockAuto lists a Camshaft Synchronizer for 1993 but not for 1992. Ford might have been doing it on late 1993's or on early Cali models. I think the engine I have is a Cali model.

One thing to note is that Limited models have their own specific body wiring harness that is much different than all the other models. All explorers will have the connector for the clutch pedal switch (jumpered on autos), except for the Limited. The limited was not available with a manual trans, so it is not in the harness, it or the wiring. This is one of many differences in the harness. Auto darkening mirror, compass, outside temp, keyless entry, heated mirrors, fog lights, 2 way memory driver seat, to name a few were standard equipment on the Limited and are built into the harness.

An XLT or Eddie could be had with most of these options but they were add on sub-harnesses installed as optioned. I expected to find fog light pigtails on my 94 Eddie as it was optioned with the Electrical package, but to my surprise they weren't there. I cant even find a connector for the switch in the dash even though the EVTM shows it there.

It is interesting to note also that some 91-92 exhaust manifolds have the bung for the EGR connection and its not drilled. I guess they knew the more more strict emissions were on the way.

Steering wheels changed from 91-92, and 93-94. Also 93-94s have color keyed dash vents instead of black, and the dash trim panel around the gauges is slightly different. A/C controls were different in later models and seat upholstery on base models was different from 91-92, and 93-94. Police versions had vinyl rear seats and the early 91 2 door Eddies used the base model striped cloth seat (if optioned) with "Eddie Bauer" stitched in the headrest and the red/blue power adjustment switches, left over from Bronco 2s. Early 91s had black interior door pulls and if you optioned the 'sawtooth' wheel, it had a plastic center cap with fake screw heads in it, instead of the flat aluminum one. Steel wheels were different into 93 and full wheel covers were available on XL 2WDs in 91-92. 92 was the only year that Eddies could be had with tan painted recesses in the "sawtooth" wheels. Clear glass was an option in early explorers and the privacy glass in the early ones was very light compared to newer vehicles.

These are some of the differences I have noticed in my vehicles and others I have seen over the years. If anyone gets the chance, check out the European spec versions. They are very unique. I have a sales brochure for them and its all in German. There are many little differences as well as big styling differences. Somewhere on here there is a thread about them.

Speaking of those old bushings, I had all of mine replaced with Energy Suspension urethane performance bushings. The old fossilized rubber originals had to be blow torched out.
Pros: very tight suspension, reduced sway, stopped creaking.
Con: The urethane material makes an audible pop when put in drive after reversing.

If I could do this over, I would stick with OEM

Noticed while wrenching on my 1994 today that the later models have a double rag joint on the steering shafts while my 1991 has a rag joint and u-joint.

Noticed while wrenching on my 1994 today that the later models have a double rag joint on the steering shafts while my 1991 has a rag joint and u-joint.
Interesting.. gonna have to check that out. I have been working on my JP project today. I never paid attention to the steering shaft. Its a late 94, with the 6 digit odometer. I was looking for the lock switch blank on the rear trim panel but its not there.

For reference, here is 92ex4x4's 91 Eddie Bauer pic:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/this-one-is-for-rhett.449514/

I notice it has the XLT bumper parts (chrome) instead of the Sport black painted bumpers. No "Sport" on the tailgate logo despite it being 2-door. Also, no red trim stripe on the sides. Has all tan colored trim pieces.

Were 2-door Eddies just 91-92?

They were available 91-94. The Sport package was the equivalent to the XLT, just with a different appearance. The 2 door XL, had a chrome grill and bumpers, no side trim or rub strip with body color tailgate at the windows instead of black. My blue 2 door is one of these. It even has manual windows!

An interesting tidbit.. the 95 luxury 2 door package was the Expedition package. It was 1 year only and replaced the Eddie package on the 2 door. After that 2 doors were referred mainly to as sport because that's mostly how they were ordered, and the luxury package was dropped. At some point Sport became the name of the 2 door Explorer. The full size, F150 based, Expedition came out soon after. Kinda off topic but interesting.

$_1.JPG

Another difference (maybe?) I came across is (possibly?) the dash brake light. My 94 has this light (with 5-digit odometer), and it turns on when the e-brake is pressed. It also turns on when brake fluid level is low in the master cylinder reservoir.

The light is detailed in this thread, with pics:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/brake-light.424757/

I'd be interested to hear if some of you do NOT have this light. It illuminates red. Every 1st gen I've ever seen had the light, yet some people in the thread were reporting that theirs did not have it. I don't know if that's because their bulb is burned out, or if they simply do not have the light.

The light on mine only ever turns on when the parking brake is pressed. Never had it come on for low brake fluid, of course my brake fluid has never been low. But I don't even think there is a sensor on the reservoir that would detect a low fluid level. Maybe it was a 94 thing?

I've had several do this. But I've never paid attention to which ones vs another. There is a two wire connector on the brake reservoir for a fluid level switch, that I have noticed on several of my trucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back