Differences in frame width between a 1997 and 2001? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences in frame width between a 1997 and 2001?

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
So I'm in the midst of my 5.0 swap on my Ranger, the problem I'm running into is header availability. I've seen no FRPP headers for sale in years and the Torque Monster Header is getting to be a rare breed. I have found a set of "slick fit" headers by Advanced Adapters, but it states they fit Explorers from 1991-1994 and Rangers up to 1997.

My thought process is this: The Explorer is a Ranger based vehicle. I've seen another thread where a guy put a 2nd Generation Explorer body onto a 1st Generation Frame. Well, if my Ranger Edge, which has torsion bars like a 2nd Generation Explorer, which share's enough similarities that the body can fit onto a 1st Gen frame, will the header's work?

The header setup is a log style manifold, just wondering what you guys and gals think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer frame is about 6" wider than a ranger from the 2nd body mounts back. Headers for v8 Explorers are your only option because of the steering shaft and angle of the collector.

I think the issue is steering clearance not frame clearance

The ad states you can return them if it doesn't fit. Give it a shot if you're willing to lose on shipping and time

Also those headers don't work with gt40-p heads. So if you plan on pulling a 5.0 from a 2nd gen explorer/mountaineer they're not going to work anyway..

I think the issue is steering clearance not frame clearance

The ad states you can return them if it doesn't fit. Give it a shot if you're willing to lose on shipping and time

Its up to 97 Ranger and up to 94 Explorer. IFS trucks are completely different also.

Getting the driver side long tubes past the IFS front axle will be your challenge. I suggest you take a look at the ifs setup real good, to see the available spaces for exhaust to go through, especially on the driver side.

Oh, another thing to note. If long tube headers would fit, how could you justify 800.00 for torquemonster shorty's?

Getting the driver side long tubes past the IFS front axle will be your challenge. I suggest you take a look at the ifs setup real good, to see the available spaces for exhaust to go through, especially on the driver side.

Oh, another thing to note. If long tube headers would fit, how could you justify 800.00 for torquemonster shorty's?

Oh trust me, if I know that I can get longtube's in there, (it's a 2WD truck by the way yall, not a 4x4), that'll happen. I'd jump on a set of TMH simply for the "I know it'll work" factor.

Luckily I'm doing this in the shop I work at, so once I get the block/head assembly installed I can start taking a look at the angles and such. I wouldn't object to figuring out the steering shaft angles, it would just be something unknown to me. But with two local offroad places in town I'm sure I can find the parts needed locally.

Oh trust me, if I know that I can get longtube's in there, (it's a 2WD truck by the way yall, not a 4x4), that'll happen. I'd jump on a set of TMH simply for the "I know it'll work" factor.

Luckily I'm doing this in the shop I work at, so once I get the block/head assembly installed I can start taking a look at the angles and such. I wouldn't object to figuring out the steering shaft angles, it would just be something unknown to me. But with two local offroad places in town I'm sure I can find the parts needed locally.

Try to find a shop near that can make a pair of log manifolds.

Look at the late modular exhaust manifolds, they are virtually all log manifolds, even the 96+ 4.6 DOHC Cobra's. If you can get it done, any similar manifold like them will outflow the TM 1.5" things.

Try to find a shop near that can make a pair of log manifolds.

Look at the late modular exhaust manifolds, they are virtually all log manifolds, even the 96+ 4.6 DOHC Cobra's. If you can get it done, any similar manifold like them will outflow the TM 1.5" things.

We have a welder that we deal with at the shop. He mentioned that if I can get something mocked up, he can finish it. Like if I tack a header in place, he can fully tig it together. So I'm wondering if I get the flanges and pieces I need, maybe I can just get kinda build my own style log manifold? I know there needs to be common sense when building them, but I figure aim the exhaust gases to the rear of the truck as they come out of the engine and all should be well?

We have a welder that we deal with at the shop. He mentioned that if I can get something mocked up, he can finish it. Like if I tack a header in place, he can fully tig it together. So I'm wondering if I get the flanges and pieces I need, maybe I can just get kinda build my own style log manifold? I know there needs to be common sense when building them, but I figure aim the exhaust gases to the rear of the truck as they come out of the engine and all should be well?

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, get the pieces made and see how I can get them tack welded, and then have them finished. Do it Josh, then others will see how much easier and quicker it is, versus waiting ages for something else.

Back