Different key for rear liftgate?

96ExplorerSport

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 X Sport 4.0L OHV, 4WD
Hi
I have 96 Explorer Sport and I can not open my rear liftgate with a door/ignition key. I have to use power botton to open it. Does liftgate lock use a different key, or, is my rear lock broken? I'd like to know so I can solve this problem, it bugs me.
Thanks,
Sergey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

power button? I usually just unlocked the whole X and then pushed the little black thingy in....

I can use lock/unlock to open the rear liftgate latch. My ignition/front door key does not work for a door lock on the liftgate. I'd like to know if I need a different key or the lock is broken.
Thanks

its a different key, i don't know if you have any of the lockin interior stuff like glove box or center console but those usually use a different key then the ignition one and I assume the rear is the same....personally I think its really stupid that its made that way....I can't lower my rear window on Queen from the outside cause the previous owner lost that key.....

'96 should be the same key. They often get rusted closed from non-use so you may try squirting some WD in there to work it loose.

'96 should be the same key. They often get rusted closed from non-use so you may try squirting some WD in there to work it loose.

Does your 96 have the same key?

My 96 EB uses the same key for the tailgate. Actually I think all the locks are the same including the glovebox. I had the tailgate lock removed when I bought my X in 96 and had the hole filled. Never missed it, use the remote all the time.

My first explorer was a 96xls, it was the same key all around the vehicle front and hatch. on my latest explorer 2000xlt it's also the same key all around. sounds like it is rusted or the tumblers have fallen (that happened in my truck and I had to get a lock smith to fix it). Try lubricating the lock first then take it to a locksmith. A few calls to locksmiths should find you one that works on vehicles, or a call to a good body shop could point you in the right direction.

David

My first explorer was a 96xls, it was the same key all around the vehicle front and hatch. on my latest explorer 2000xlt it's also the same key all around. sounds like it is rusted or the tumblers have fallen (that happened in my truck and I had to get a lock smith to fix it). Try lubricating the lock first then take it to a locksmith. A few calls to locksmiths should find you one that works on vehicles, or a call to a good body shop could point you in the right direction.

David

Thanks David,
I'll try that. Do I need any special tools to take a lock out? Or, does it just pop out if I pull/push it from the inside?

The hatch has been the same key as the whole vehicle from the beginning '91 and up. The glove box takes a different key which is reversed from the ignition key. They won't fit in each others lock.

My 97 is the same deal. different key for the hatch.

From the factory you have a different key for the hatch than the ignition and the rest of the doors?

We've had a '91, '94, '96, '00 and '03 and all of the doors including the latch have always used the same key. I addition to that I have used a '93 and '01 and it was the same deal.

Back