differential fluid change

cdrive

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
howdy all

I've got a 99 Sport and I think it's probably time time to do the differential fluid. Do I need friction modifier in the rear? Recommendations on fluid are welcome; I was thinking Mobil 1 synthetic, but I'll entertain other fluids as well.

Thanx in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats the axle code?

whats the axle code?

Its a code found on the driver's door sticker; it designates what rear end you have. Get the code and post it here, we will help you.

As for the friction modifier, I have never used any in my LS 3.73; and never an issue with it either.

I use Amsoil in mine and have used Mobil 1 in the past.

Good luck ...

sorry, i meant what is the axle code for that particular vehicle, good definition though :)

it's an axle code 42

I'm just looking to change the fluid as I figure it's well past due, and I am gunning for Aldive's 30 mpg :p

Aldive, what weight Amsoil are you using?

i believe that is a non limited slip 4.10 axle. How much of a difference will fresh diff fluid make in fuel economy?

i believe that is a non limited slip 4.10 axle. How much of a difference will fresh diff fluid make in fuel economy?

Its not whether its fresh, the key is whether its synthetic ( for better mileage ).

Aldive, did you notice a difference between the Mobil 1 and the Amsoil?

Back