• Register Today It's free!

DIY Chips

tnmk

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Within the last few months I've been searching my Truck and finally got it a couple weeks ago.
While searching I logged on to another Forum for Ex's. That Forum has since dissappeared.
A fairly recent thread was from a guy that found a site to get all the necessary stuff needed to program your own chips. Software and hardware all included. I went to the site and checked it out. Looked pretty cool. About $180.00 all said and done. That's when the forum dissappeared. (It was a very active forum too, so this surprised me)

Did anyone else see this thread? I don't remember where the site was and I'm not a computer geek, but this guys angle was trying to get a number of people involved and only have to buy one set of software and hardware and a number of chips (which are very inexpensive) saving every one a lot of cash.

Let me know if anyone is familliar with what I'm talking about

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well dont know about that one but there is another one called Mega Squirt. Its a stand alone system and is programable with a serial cable and laptop. 180 seems a bit on the cheap side. Some of the automotive specialty software is expensive.

The guy said ha had someone that was writing the code for him.
I'll have to do some searching

The name of that old forum was (i have to type this differently so this forum doesn't x it out) ford explorer dot net. Is there anyone here from that forum?

yeah,I tried the google search, but I have no clue what the web site was and I'm not having any luck. Before I just followed the link that the guy provided in the post.

If you have some good ideas for key words I'm open. I've tried diy chips, diy performance chips, program your own performance chip, I'm just not finding it.

hey JT, I assume you meant subscribing instead of suscribing. But what are you subscribing too?

Would it happen to be something like "Moates" or "EEC Editor"? I am an avid ford eec tuner and I know that Craig Moates and Paul Booth are two guys that are heavily into the mustang tuning scene and they now offer support for most all Ford EECV equipped vehicles. I actually plan to get his piggy back chip and software for my 99 Ex in the near future and the prices are unbelieveable for all the work that was put into it.

I just can't decide if I want to go that route again and have to have a laptop for every change or just get the new X-Cal and do it all from the handheld...

So I guess 1st gens are a$$ out? :(

Green,
I really don't remember the names of the people doing it. I looked at the website one time.
For myself I'm not really worried about making changes. I would prefer an all around general performance enhancing chip like JET has to offer. Do it once and be done with it. So I'm not really worried about needing a laptop or a handheld.
If nothing pans out here then JET is probably the way I'll go.

Can you provide a link to their website? I'll tell you if that's the one.

I've got a JET in my 99 X and its works great. Takes 5 mins. to install Always wondered if there was something even better though....

Jet chips are junk... I'd go with either SCT/Superchips or Diablo or even Hypertech before I'd use a JET.

Do a search for Moates.net or something like that, I'm pretty sure it will come up.

THAT's IT!!! I recognized the logo right away.
Now, the question is:

If a number of people would like to "chip" (good pun huh) in on this I would be willing as well. The thing is for me though that I'm no computer geek (NO offense to anyone) and am a little wary of attempting this myself. But a pre-programmed chip at the right price sounds attractive.
As I said b4, I have no desire to want to change the program at any point. Just a chip to optimize aftermarket intake, exhaust and some good plugs and wires. Maybe down the road I would consider getting another one if I were to add MAF and TB. But that would probably be the extent of my engine mods.
The way I see it, $50.00 from 10 people going to one person that knows what they're doing would make it worth while for everyone.

Well I need to do something, I do have a lot of time, and a laptop.
I have experimented with my Pro-M maftuner software some, but have yet to get desired results. I think it is inferior though.

Back