do 2002's suck? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

do 2002's suck?

Just get one with a warranty. I would buy another 02 if I had to but I would just get one with a warranty.

What warranty is Ford offering on a 8yr old pre-owned vehicle? You aren't talking about one of those 3rd party warranty companies I hope...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am all for purchasing 2003 but the quote above is not exactly correct. Manufacturers and suppliers make revisions (both improvements and to correct defects) to parts mid year all the time, especially if problems are identified. It is also not "arbitrary" when the parts were made and assembled. (I was a Ford manufacturing engineer for several years 1993 time frame). Build date absolutely matters. I bought my 2002 new because of my needs at the time. Mine has not had abnormal amount of problems compared to others although I will say that problems of the Explorer was a lot more than any other Ford cars I have owned which has soured me on going Ford again.

I was specifically citing a 2002 in that it is arbitrary when the build date is on an 02 because they are known to have a lot of issues. You are misconstruing what I am saying, in generalizing other vehicle years....I am talking specifically about the '02 models.

I was specifically citing a 2002 in that it is arbitrary when the build date is on an 02 because they are known to have a lot of issues. You are misconstruing what I am saying, in generalizing other vehicle years....I am talking specifically about the '02 models.

As a whole yes, you can put all 02's in the same category. Since most prospective buyers are not looking at early or late build, its safe to put it all under one category.
For the people who really want to do their homework on a used vehicle, they might go as far as to finding out what build date, where it was built and so on. But yes, in a general view, the 02's are not the best.
I personally haven't had any of the normal 02 explorer bugs and glitches hold for the wheel bearing failures and the rear end noise (which ford claims is another wheel bearing gone bad). I have replaced the passenger side bearings front and rear (broke the CV joint in the front axle cause I moved it the wrong way to get the bolts out for the wheel assembly. I have also had the thermostat housing leak (which happens to subsequent years of explorers too). Other than that, mine is still going strong at 101000 miles. And I still haven't replaced the spark plugs or fuel filter as of yet, which will be done when i get back from vacation. Also putting new diff fluid, transmission flush and transfer case fluid will be done too.

just going to forget about the 02's to be sure. thanks for your opinions and honesty

What warranty is Ford offering on a 8yr old pre-owned vehicle? You aren't talking about one of those 3rd party warranty companies I hope...

You can get a warranty direct through Ford. A search will get you the link....

Keep slammin' the 2002's..it just makes them cheaper for the rest of us...I love mine...bad bearings, rear end whine and everything! It is a lot of truck for the money when you get the deal...all explorers have similar problems...treat them nice and they last forever....

Keep slammin' the 2002's..it just makes them cheaper for the rest of us...I love mine...bad bearings, rear end whine and everything! It is a lot of truck for the money when you get the deal...all explorers have similar problems...treat them nice and they last forever....

We're not "slamming", people are just speaking the truth and not all Explorers suffer from the 2002's problems.

For example --it appears that only the 2002s are breaking the rear coils, which is a manufacturing or quality control problem: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182961

IMG_1598_1.jpg

With all the talk about "build date" etc., how can we be sure that an '03 model Explorer is ok? Does Ford simply fix the known issues as soon as the next model year order is created (basically they wait)? Since the 2003 models were built in 2002, can we assume that all the issues have been resolved? Back in 2001 or 2002, I would think that as Ford sees an issue in the current 2002 model year (building it in 2001 or 2002), they would have fixed anything that was wrong with it. At what point were all the problems identified to be sure that the build date model you're getting (2002 or 2003) is safe? Anybody know? Any Ford employees out there that can further chime in?

I also have a hard time believing that within 12 months all the problems were recognized? Doesn't it take time for these issues to show up? I'm really confused because I'm currently shopping around for one and I don't know whether to get a 2003 (or 2004 to be safe). My initial thought is go with a 2004 model since a lot of time has passed (from the '02 model) and most issues have been fixed by this long time gap. But if I can get away with a 2003 model (knowing all the issues are resolved), I can certainly save money buying used.

Please provide input.

That last pic looks soooo familar!

STU

I've got an '02 and it's been a fantastic truck. I haven't had any major problems and it runs like a top with 125,000 miles. I have driven this truck all over the country from coast to coast, it's been in the mountains, on beaches, in the desert, in the swamp. I've moved with it several times, towed all kinds of things, even rescued stranded people with it.

Some of the minor issues I've had are the 4x4 module going kaput, slow leaking A/C system (I charge it every spring), and just in the last month grinding from the front wheel bearings/hubs. I had another spark plug issue which was my fault (wasn't using Platinum plugs). Outside of those things it's just been wear items. I typically use Mobil 1 for everything (engine, transmission, transfer case, front and rear end).

There have been no issues with the transmission, rear end, rear springs, engine or electrical. I am completely satisfied with this truck.

With all the talk about "build date" etc., how can we be sure that an '03 model Explorer is ok? Does Ford simply fix the known issues as soon as the next model year order is created (basically they wait)? Since the 2003 models were built in 2002, can we assume that all the issues have been resolved? Back in 2001 or 2002, I would think that as Ford sees an issue in the current 2002 model year (building it in 2001 or 2002), they would have fixed anything that was wrong with it. At what point were all the problems identified to be sure that the build date model you're getting (2002 or 2003) is safe? Anybody know? Any Ford employees out there that can further chime in?

I also have a hard time believing that within 12 months all the problems were recognized? Doesn't it take time for these issues to show up? I'm really confused because I'm currently shopping around for one and I don't know whether to get a 2003 (or 2004 to be safe). My initial thought is go with a 2004 model since a lot of time has passed (from the '02 model) and most issues have been fixed by this long time gap. But if I can get away with a 2003 model (knowing all the issues are resolved), I can certainly save money buying used.

Please provide input.

In the case of the broken rear springs in 02, it's arbitrary about the build dates on the 2003. Ford used a different supplier for their springs in the 2003 model. I wish they had performed a recall on the springs in the first place, but for whatever reason there just weren't enough complaints?

I personally have never heard of any broken rear springs on any 2003+ Explorer's, which further validates Ford changing suppliers for that part in that year.

However, the 2003's have their share of issues too, but the main difference is it's an issue that's shared across the board on a lot of 3rd gen's, regardless of year. This includes faulty wheel bearings, rear differential whine, transmission slip, and other fun jobs. The 2004 did have some changes over the 03, but they were purely mechanical differences...subtle as they may be.

Value wise, go with the newest and lowest mileage Explorer your budget allows. If that means an 03, great. An 04...awesome. But mileage is key. If it's anywhere near the 100k mark, you really need to have it inspected...and have them concentrate on the wheel bearings, the tranny and the rear differential. These all tend to go by the 100k mark...the differential being the 1st usually at the halfway point...by 50k (sometimes even less).

I have a 2002 model year, built in 2002. Bought from original owner with 38k miles whom claimed never did any work on it. I have now run up the mileage to 70k with no engine, transmission, hubs, differential, bearing or springs work done on it. Just the usual crack in the back lift gate.

I do also flush the transmission and differential every 25k miles.

It drives great in the city and on the highway.

I'm a happy camper.

Bought my '02 Limited 4.6 V8/4WD Loaded new in May 2002. Build date in April 2002. Let go of a great '97 XLT to get it.

Now at 104K miles. I am worried about the tranny but it has not shown any of the 'death signs' as of yet. Has been everywhere, done everything. I have replaced a $150 4x4 module, a $50 rear AC actuator, two front wheel bearings and the rest has been gravy.

Back