DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM ROCKAUTO! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM ROCKAUTO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...My mailman told they are making changes in the usps system and things are going too take longer.

FYI, for the USPS, take some pity on the Rural Carriers, but not the City Carriers. The City Carriers are paid by the hour, so they get compensated fairly at all times, plus overtime possible on any day of the year.

Rural Carriers are paid by salary, and only three weeks of the year is overtime possible. The part that is terrible is the pay for parcels, which is extremely low. Everything is based on mail counts which define everything in time amounts. Parcels pay those carriers 30 seconds each, total, not counting loading time. They get paid 15 seconds each for sorting them(office time), and 15 seconds each to deliver them. Think of how long it takes to locate and travel to the place where the parcel is left, which often is a long driveway(up to half a mile). The average parcel takes about 45-90 seconds each, depending on the type of delivery(houses close to the road, or far up a driveway). That means the carrier is working for free at about a minute per parcel(including sorting time that takes over 30 seconds each), and most routes now have well over 100 per day. That ends up meaning they are working for free for close to 90 minutes a day, or nine hours per week( for the route's six days in a week). So the pay has been unfair for a lot of years, Amazon began the rush that basically blew parcels up by 3-4 times. All carriers are over burdened, and the PO is doing nothing at this time to help them. They are not hiring enough new people, nor are they interested in paying anyone more fairly.

I'm not suggesting anyone should tip their carrier, just please be appreciative that they are actually working, knowing they are not being paid enough. The PO is doing some things internally to make parcel transportation more efficient between delivery offices, but nothing to help the carriers who are the front line of customer service. They've got it backwards, they should pay the carriers a lot more, and thus cut the size of the routes(by about 90 minutes a day). That would mean the same pay but without the free labor, and that would help a ton.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Monday ordered a transmission modulator for my Explorer (A4LD) and figured it would be at my door by the weekend so I could install it. RockAuto sent tracking info that very day saying the label was printed (Chula Vista, CA 30mins away) and it was on it's way to USPS, I would have delivery by Thursday. This is great, I thought. Wrong! Here it is Sunday almost a week later and the modulator STILL hasn't been shipped. Now it's late. I can't install this weekend and I'll have to drive my truck to work another week with no 1st-2nd shifting. Contacted RockAuto via email and they keep saying it has been shipped but USPS track says it hasn't. RockAuto has no customer service phone number (WTF?) where you can actually speak to a human. You can only email their website. I keep getting the runaround from them. They keep telling me fill out their automated troubleshooting form and when I do it just says the item was shipped and they're not responsible for delays. I wished I would have researched this company more before I ordered. Now I'll have to go through Paypal to try to get my money back. I'm thinking that the part wasn't in stock when I ordered and they clearly sold something they didn't have. I've found out that this is a common tactic of theirs. Now they are waiting for it to come in and meanwhile they ONLY printed the packaging label so they can say it has been shipped when it really wasn't thus keeping me waiting while they have my money. Let's face it, car trouble can be aggravating enough and if you order from a company that uses shady business practices it's even more maddening. I'm finished with RockAuto. I will never ever buy from them again.

Been using them for 8 yrs now, never had a problem. Order between 2k to 4k a yr.

I hope you have a shop, or you need to put a brick under the right hand pedal... Hahahha

Monday ordered a transmission modulator for my Explorer (A4LD) and figured it would be at my door by the weekend so I could install it. RockAuto sent tracking info that very day saying the label was printed (Chula Vista, CA 30mins away) and it was on it's way to USPS, I would have delivery by Thursday. This is great, I thought. Wrong! Here it is Sunday almost a week later and the modulator STILL hasn't been shipped. Now it's late. I can't install this weekend and I'll have to drive my truck to work another week with no 1st-2nd shifting. Contacted RockAuto via email and they keep saying it has been shipped but USPS track says it hasn't. RockAuto has no customer service phone number (WTF?) where you can actually speak to a human. You can only email their website. I keep getting the runaround from them. They keep telling me fill out their automated troubleshooting form and when I do it just says the item was shipped and they're not responsible for delays. I wished I would have researched this company more before I ordered. Now I'll have to go through Paypal to try to get my money back. I'm thinking that the part wasn't in stock when I ordered and they clearly sold something they didn't have. I've found out that this is a common tactic of theirs. Now they are waiting for it to come in and meanwhile they ONLY printed the packaging label so they can say it has been shipped when it really wasn't thus keeping me waiting while they have my money. Let's face it, car trouble can be aggravating enough and if you order from a company that uses shady business practices it's even more maddening. I'm finished with RockAuto. I will never ever buy from t

it is happening to all internet. and when its listed shipped but usps has not received it
it most likely the 3rd party the shipping co use to go from warehouse to post office sometime 3rd party transport all the way to either your area usps center sometimes just to usps local system
my guess the 3rd party either lost or misplaced or its lost in usps in fl the Orlando sorting center is infamous in losing or miss shipping fed ex and amazon has trouble in that regions both with po and there own centers. on rock auto some ware on line it should say how long before filing refund request.
if they jerk you contact your credit card best to always use credit cards online discovers reall good with missing shipments . 2 weeks ago my memory cards got lost i reordered since price was super cheap
first got pu but that's the last they saw. amazon cave credit day reported

Been using them for 8 yrs now, never had a problem. Order between 2k to 4k a yr.
I have been ordering $7k-$10k worth of parts from them every year for a similar time frame. Rarely have any issues and when I do they are quick to correct them. Years ago they used to have a number you could call, but they got rid of it some time ago.

Shipping times from all carriers have progressively gotten longer over the last year or so. USPS certainly is not improving.

If you want to roll the dice with getting a legitimate part from ebay or Amazon then have at it. If you can find a parts store with better prices and better selection let me know.

Monday ordered a transmission modulator for my Explorer (A4LD) and figured it would be at my door by the weekend so I could install it. RockAuto sent tracking info that very day saying the label was printed (Chula Vista, CA 30mins away) and it was on it's way to USPS, I would have delivery by Thursday. This is great, I thought. Wrong! Here it is Sunday almost a week later and the modulator STILL hasn't been shipped. Now it's late. I can't install this weekend and I'll have to drive my truck to work another week with no 1st-2nd shifting. Contacted RockAuto via email and they keep saying it has been shipped but USPS track says it hasn't. RockAuto has no customer service phone number (WTF?) where you can actually speak to a human. You can only email their website. I keep getting the runaround from them. They keep telling me fill out their automated troubleshooting form and when I do it just says the item was shipped and they're not responsible for delays. I wished I would have researched this company more before I ordered. Now I'll have to go through Paypal to try to get my money back. I'm thinking that the part wasn't in stock when I ordered and they clearly sold something they didn't have. I've found out that this is a common tactic of theirs. Now they are waiting for it to come in and meanwhile they ONLY printed the packaging label so they can say it has been shipped when it really wasn't thus keeping me waiting while they have my money. Let's face it, car trouble can be aggravating enough and if you order from a company that uses shady business practices it's even more maddening. I'm finished with RockAuto. I will never ever buy from them again.

I'm glad you posted this. I also will not do business where a business refuses to communicate with the public or their customers. That is frustrating. Customer service is no longer respected by these big boys. That said, USPS is not what it used to be. I have sent out out Certified green cards to Certified mail on several occasions. I never received the return receipt. The tracking stated in was at the post office where the party was to whom I sent it to. When I went to my local post office to get my money back for the Certified letters, , they told me that they are having issues and I will never get the return receipt as they seem lose them. Reading the other posts about Rock Auto, I would also do business with a company who values customer service by listing an active and answered phone number!

Sometimes when it shows shipped but nowhere to be found, the package might be laying under a bridge with 400 other boxes waiting to be discovered.

I'm glad you posted this. I also will not do business where a business refuses to communicate with the public or their customers. That is frustrating. Customer service is no longer respected by these big boys. That said, USPS is not what it used to be. I have sent out out Certified green cards to Certified mail on several occasions. I never received the return receipt. The tracking stated in was at the post office where the party was to whom I sent it to. When I went to my local post office to get my money back for the Certified letters, , they told me that they are having issues and I will never get the return receipt as they seem lose them. Reading the other posts about Rock Auto, I would also do business with a company who values customer service by listing an active and answered phone number!

When you need to mail something Certified, don't pay extra for the green return receipt. The cost of that is higher than to pay for a copy of the USPS receipt, the 3849 form which the customer has to(used to have to) sign for. if you need the proof for court, not for your records, you can get that for a dollar or so. They keep changing prices, so details change, but the idea is the same. Save your money on the green cards, only pay for the proof when you find out that you need it.

Starting in Summer of 2020, the USPS stopped requiring signatures on most all accountable mail(Certified etc). They allowed carriers to sign it "COVID 19" and their name, and leave it in the box. Some carriers stopped doing anything, left notice on all of it, some ignored the change, and some followed the new guidelines. They have not changed that policy yet, I still do as they told us to in 2020.

Sometimes when it shows shipped but nowhere to be found, the package might be laying under a bridge with 400 other boxes waiting to be discovered.

Our PO is approaching 10,000 parcels per day, 6k might be typical lately. That figure used to be around 1000 or so, a decade ago.

Rockauto is a store front operation only and does not have a warehouse or stockpile of their own, They are just another layer in the cake. They have contracts/agreements with many of the large middleman/wholesale supply houses that actually stock and ship products and are at the mercy of the suppliers. I found this structure out myself on my first order years ago and wanted to save on the shipping cost because I tracked them down and found they were in my city. I went to their address and found a 2 cubical office area in a building serving many businesses. I have used them many times over the years since and haven't experienced any problems.

I’ve had great service and some of the best pricing to be found when needing OEM PARTS with these guys up in Dearborn! Been using them for years!

I've had very good service from Rockauto for a long time. Sure, I'd like to buy local, but I'm not rich enough to pay $21.00 for a light bulb that I can get from Rockauto for $3.00. I'd really like to support local businesses, but not willing to go broke doing so.
My favorite online retailer is Summit Racing, they are awesome. I only had to contact their customer service once, and the person I spoke with knew exactly what she was doing and went (I thought) over and above the call of duty to resolve my problem.

FYI, for the USPS, take some pity on the Rural Carriers, but not the City Carriers. The City Carriers are paid by the hour, so they get compensated fairly at all times, plus overtime possible on any day of the year.

Rural Carriers are paid by salary, and only three weeks of the year is overtime possible. The part that is terrible is the pay for parcels, which is extremely low. Everything is based on mail counts which define everything in time amounts. Parcels pay those carriers 30 seconds each, total, not counting loading time. They get paid 15 seconds each for sorting them(office time), and 15 seconds each to deliver them. Think of how long it takes to locate and travel to the place where the parcel is left, which often is a long driveway(up to half a mile). The average parcel takes about 45-90 seconds each, depending on the type of delivery(houses close to the road, or far up a driveway). That means the carrier is working for free at about a minute per parcel(including sorting time that takes over 30 seconds each), and most routes now have well over 100 per day. That ends up meaning they are working for free for close to 90 minutes a day, or nine hours per week( for the route's six days in a week). So the pay has been unfair for a lot of years, Amazon began the rush that basically blew parcels up by 3-4 times. All carriers are over burdened, and the PO is doing nothing at this time to help them. They are not hiring enough new people, nor are they interested in paying anyone more fairly.

I'm not suggesting anyone should tip their carrier, just please be appreciative that they are actually working, knowing they are not being paid enough. The PO is doing some things internally to make parcel transportation more efficient between delivery offices, but nothing to help the carriers who are the front line of customer service. They've got it backwards, they should pay the carriers a lot more, and thus cut the size of the routes(by about 90 minutes a day). That would mean the same pay but without the free labor, and that would help a ton.

Wow, unreasonable (and short sighted) of management to treat rural carriers that way! Even being in town, my mail gets sent out of state for sorting, delays it most of a day apparently. Reminds me of the saying, 'management's function is to impede production'! People quit, retire, or get transfers when treated badly like that.

RockAuto is run by an "AI" team. They have no feelings for any of us. Pretty soon vegetables will be grown and picked by robots and shipped by trucks that drive themselves. Then "AI" will decide that feeding carbon based humans and pets is a lot of trouble then they will create Terminators that look like Arnold and EF us all up.
Sorry guys, I couldn't resist..
added @CDW6212R a robot will be coming after your job too

Back story for you young guys

RockAuto is run by an "AI" team. They have no feelings for any of us. Pretty soon vegetables will be grown and picked by robots and shipped by trucks that drive themselves. Then "AI" will decide that feeding carbon based humans and pets is a lot of trouble then they will create Terminators that look like Arnold and EF us all up.
Sorry guys, I couldn't resist..
added @CDW6212R a robot will be coming after your job too
Eventually a robot will be coming for all our jobs.

Yeah, I hear things like this a lot, not about Rock Auto specifically but...

I work a customer service job at Digi-Key Electronics and I do hear plenty of complaints like this about other companies. I'm going to make some comments, in no particular order. This is a very long post... it's a deep subject and if you are not interested in the plight of manufacturing and customer service, feel free to skip it.

1) As a general rule, customer service is getting worse across all industries. Why? There was a general trend this way for quite a while because customer service is not a direct-profit center and a lot of companies had already abandoned personal customer service hoping automated service would be enough. This trend climbed steeply with COVID and many more companies flipped to automated service out of necessity or sometimes as an excuse. My company has resisted this trend and customers can talk to actual people. And not just people, people who are actual employees who live in the US (mostly MN where we are based), people who are actually trained and empowered to fix problems immediately. And they are there 24/7/365. That phone service has been in continual service for over 10 years. I'm telling you all this not to brag (though it is amazing) but to show it can be done in today's conditions.

2) Every company across every sector from simple food products to exotic electronics and vehicles has struggle to keep product in their warehouses. Why? Again, there was a general trend that goes back to the 1980's and a concept learned from Japan called 'Just in time' manufacturing. The idea was to keep inventory to an absolute minimum, that any manufacturing material, be it flour, sheet metal, or computer chips, was a waste of money sitting on the shelf waiting to be used. Suppose you assemble cars. You decide you are going to make 251 cars on Tuesday. 'Just in time' dictates that you order exactly 251 rear view mirrors to be delivered that Monday. You don't store anything long-term. You do not maintain a warehouse to keep anything extra because extra costs money. This has been taken to sometimes extreme measures. My company gets orders like 5,281 capacitors that must be on their dock on a specific day, no sooner, no later. These are 5 cent parts!

Now, I'm telling you this because of this next point: This is a fragile system. If that box of capacitors spills open because it got jammed in a UPS sorting facility, it's a HUGE deal. Suppose the customer is a company that makes boards that they sell to a radio company that makes radios that go in cars. That spilled box can jam up a vehicle assembly line down the road because everybody is doing 'just in time'. Our warehouse is in Thief River Falls, Minnesota. We have customers sometimes do 'will call', and they are based in a place like Los Angeles. They put a person on a plane to come get the parts because over-night shipping isn't fast enough... an idle factory is expensive, a broken contract even more-so.

Now, take this fragile system and hit it with COVID. The systems collapse. Warehouses that did keep an inventory emptied out quickly. This is why toilet paper was hard to get for a while.... nobody wanted to maintain a 100,000 sq ft warehouse with extra toilet paper just in case because space and stored inventory cost money.

This will not get any better anytime soon. Why? Because companies sized production capacity to match the 'just in time' model. The pipelines and warehouses are empty. So, you resume production after COVID and you have the capacity to meet demand if you are lucky, but the pipeline remains dry and the warehouses remain empty. If your machine makes 10,000 capacitors per hour, you cannot twist a knob and make 20,000 per hour. It is what it is. And you can't just buy another one million dollar capacitor maker off the shelf either. Same applies to practically every product you buy. This will be a very slow recovery, and when supply is down, demand increases, and you will pay more. My company has suppliers that are forecasting their next delivery of products like certain integrated circuit chips in 2024. That's how far behind they are.

3) Warehousing practices are changing. Do you remember when Amazon used to ship the day after your order? Now it's out to 3-4 days. Why? Companies are starting to implement off-line warehouses where they keep low-demand items. So, a customer orders, the item has to ship from the low-demand warehouse to on-line warehouse and then ships on to the customer. Why? Because of cost. You put that off-line warehouse where land and labor is cheap. If you have to keep inventory, you keep it in the cheapest place you can get away with. I know for a fact that Rock Auto does this.

Sometimes, they don't warehouse at all. My electronics company gets orders from other electronics companies to drop ship to their customers. We are happy to do this because we put our brand on the boxes and paperwork, and maybe they will buy directly from us next time.

4) Delivery companies are having problems and I don't know the root cause. But, UPS, FedEx and USPS are failing to meet delivery dates at an alarming rate. This has been noticeably worse in the last 2 months. I suspect it has to do with COVID and mandatory isolation but I don't know that for sure. It follows though, if airlines are cancelling flights because of isolated pilots, freight carriers will have the same problem.

But, I will say this: We shipped around 8 million boxes last year. In order of delivery reliability, FedEx is the best, UPS is a close second and USPS is a distant third. USPS does very strange things. If I personally order a package and it has to go USPS, it gets to the Twin Cities and then it bounces back and forth between Minneapolis and St Paul, back and forth at least twice, and then it finds it's way out and moves forward again. I avoid USPS if I can.

5) So, what can you do? Yes, for a time critical item, you want to go with someone that has telephone customer service based in the US. Order by phone if you can. Ask them how many they have in stock and if they can't tell you, that's not a good sign. Ask them where it is shipping from. If they can't tell you, that's not a good sign. Ask them when it will actually ship, be specific, tell them you don't want the label date, you want the actual date the carrier picks it up. If they can't tell you, that's not a good sign. A world-class company will be able to do all of these things.

This was a very long post and I'm sorry about that. But, everything I wrote applies to practically everything you use, and I'm hoping people who order things on-line will benefit from it.
Uh....... Roadrunner777 ...You work at Digi-Key Electronics......Can I be your friend !!! Im getting ready to rebuild

some amps main boards.....new capacitors large and small etc.......Hey let me get your chair.........you need

something to drink......... your pillow needs to be fluffed..............lol .......................................Crown PS400
1643897998809.png

I have the exact opposite experience w rock auto
I order parts from them because they have awesome shipping, easy return and exchange system when needed as well.
Summit, jegs, and speedway also ship very quickly

Shipping delays are everywhere right now
I order so many parts rock auto is my go to source!!

When robots come for your job you make your job robots

I have the exact opposite experience w rock auto
I order parts from them because they have awesome shipping, easy return and exchange system when needed as well.
Summit, jegs, and speedway also ship very quickly

Shipping delays are everywhere right now
I order so many parts rock auto is my go to source!!

When robots come for your job you make your job robots
How about when ' The USA truckers" copy Canada 400 mile long protest.......See "who's your daddy now " in the US

is it fancy pants DC'ers or the middle America "Truckers".......Im betting on the truckers will have someone crying uncle....

Their will be no deliveries.................or close to none......and I 'll go back to "who's your daddy now "....the "Truckers"...

Reactions: ~X~

Uh....... Roadrunner777 ...You work at Digi-Key Electronics......Can I be your friend !!! Im getting ready to rebuild

some amps main boards.....new capacitors large and small etc.......Hey let me get your chair.........you need

something to drink......... your pillow needs to be fluffed..............lol .......................................Crown PS400
View attachment 426067

Well, of course you can! Here are some tips:
1) Do a full registration on the website. We do not sell your information and you can choose right there not to get promotional email. It's a no-brainer.
2) Having done that, you can call Digi-Key at 800-344-4539, give them your customer number and ask to speak to an engineer. We have about 50 engineers available Monday through Friday up to 9PM central time, and if you need help outside that timeframe, we have a very active forum that is often monitored by off-duty engineers. They can help decode part numbers, and match up parts to what we have in stock. We have some that have the expertise to help with new circuit design, or working around an obsolete component. You can bet many of them have experience with bringing old audio equipment back to life.

We are crazy serious about customer satisfaction. And we have about a acre of capacitors right here in the US that we will ship within 24 hours. We want you to be our friend too! I'll PM you my contact info, I don't want some bot to scan it here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, of course you can! Here are some tips:
1) Do a full registration on the website. We do not sell your information and you can choose right there not to get promotional email. It's a no-brainer.
2) Having done that, you can call Digi-Key at 800-344-4539, give them your customer number and ask to speak to an engineer. We have about 50 engineers available Monday through Friday up to 9PM central time, and if you need help outside that timeframe, we have a very active forum that is often monitored by off-duty engineers. They can help decode part numbers, and match up parts to what we have in stock. We have some that have the expertise to help with new circuit design, or working around an obsolete component. You can bet many of them have experience with bringing old audio equipment back to life.

We are crazy serious about customer satisfaction. And we have about a acre of capacitors right here in the US that we will ship within 24 hours. We want you to be our friend too! I'll PM you my contact info, I don't want some bot to scan it here.
So just call Digi-Key and ask for Roadrunner777.....thanks ......Im picking on you ........thanks 777.....Digi-Key is

massive and know all over the country if not world.....in the music business.......etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back