Do you use your X for towing? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you use your X for towing?

I bought mine with towing in mind, not necessarily to the extent that I use it now, but I use mine regularly. I use a hitch basket to haul some things, pull 18ft tandem axle trailers, and my 23' travel trailer. I have a brake controller installed and did a custom mount of the plug in the back bumper.

lift_002_Medium_.jpg

lift_001_Medium_.jpg

trucks_010_Medium_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a mounty and tow alot, I have an outdoor wood burning furnace. And since I don't have a pick up yet for haulin wood I have been pulling my 14 foot trailer. I usually load it up pretty good. Pulls good, I am guessing there has been a few times I have had in the ballpark of 4k lbs on the trailer plus the trailer, pulled ok, I did make sure to take it easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've never towed a trailer before but....i towed my dad's 1990 GMC 1500 home once when he lost his harmonic balancer....also towed a Chevy Blazer once that had a bad tranny....best part is my tranny doesn't shift right, but it still towed two vehicles that weighed as much as it does. and the were BOTH General Motors:bsnicker:

i have pulled and S10 home also, and got a cummins truck unstuck. but i usally just pull a trailer with 2 4 wheelers on it

We very specifically searched for an bought a v8 4WD with the tow package. These are not to easy to find in So Cal. In fact we got a leftover 04 at the beginning of 05, and it was the last 04 V8 4WD tow pkg in So Cal. Wanted the v8 and tow pkg for a trailer, we have a 22ft fleetwood weighing in at 5100lbs ready to camp and we love traveling, and wanted the 4WD for "exploring" The control trac 4WD offers the added beniefit of being similar to AWD when in the auto mode. No slipping or wheel spin pulling onto a highway with the trailer, just point and go.

How is it towing your TT? What do you have for a setup? Any issues or swaying on the highway?

I tow bout anything with the ex's but from now on not towing anything over 3500 pounds with the 96. This is when I junked the 97 breeze 2weeks ago. I'll pull people if they get stuck somewhere, or if their car breaks down, I'll tow'em to where ever.

junkbreeze.jpg

th_l_77e5e5576e07c88c553b5743ff8ced08.jpg

Occasional light towing with the bumper, and that's about it.

kevdc77 - It tows great, plenty of power and handles well. I use a reese straightline weight distribution and sway control and a prodigy brake controler. It works very well. No sway problems, stops great, It has been a fantastic set up. I just wish we wern't so upside down, I would go for an 06, 50 more ponies and a lower final drive 1st ratio. Even so, it goes up the grapevine at 55 with 5 people and full of gear. Proper set up really is the key, good WD and sway control is paramount because of the independent suspension and shorter wheelbase. Personally I would not tow more than about 24-25 ft, our 22 is perfect for us. Note, trailer model numbers don't reflect length. We have a 180ck leading you believe it is 18ft, but overal it is 22ft 4in.

I don't tow with mine. I bought it to tow, but then swapped a Caravan for a Suburban (4 kids). The Suburban is a supeior tow vehicle in all respects.

We got ours to tow our 3000# camper. The minivan just wasn't cuttin' it . . .

I tow with my 97 mounty, a 5 x 10 utility ,18 foot open tandem car trailer,5 X 10 enclosed trailer and my outback 23krs toy hauler witch comes in at 5600 # empty, 700# tongue weight. I voted heavy duty

Back