Do you wear a seatbelt? | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Do you wear a seatbelt?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 398 81.1%
  • No, never

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Depends (please post what it depends on)

Votes: 64 13.0%

• Total voters
Around here (Netherlands) it's mandatory, but it didn't use to be. some 20 years ago we were all driving around without belts and I remember feeling restricted when I first had to start wearing them. Now, I get to feel like a total badass if I don't for a couple of meters... :burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to start an argument or anything, but how does somebody not wearing a seatbelt in a car put other people in danger?
Well if you have ever been in a accident and you weren't wearing a seat belt you could lose control of the vehicle and a passenger could be hurt or even killed (I speak from experience) I was t-boned on the drivers side and I wasn't wearing a seat belt and I had trouble staying in the passengers seat and lost control of the vehicle and my wife was injured slightly in the process. It's hard to explain exactly what happened but I just know I ended up on the floor of the passengers side. Had I been wearing a seat belt I probably could have controlled the vehicle better and kept my hands on the wheel.

Minnesota is a Click it or Ticket state. anyone in the vehicle must be belted.
kids under 11 must be in a booster seat, that is securely attached to the vehicle.
Not sure of what the fine amount is, but they'll fine you for every person not using a seat belt.

Minnesota is a Click it or Ticket state. anyone in the vehicle must be belted.
kids under 11 must be in a booster seat, that is securely attached to the vehicle.
Not sure of what the fine amount is, but they'll fine you for every person not using a seat belt.
Same here in Massachusetts.

When I was young and dumb, I didn't use it. Finally one February night I put it on without thinking about it. 5 minutes later I rolled my 92 explorer on the interstate. Hit some black ice merging onto the highway. Ever since I wear it all the time, even on my forklift which travels a blistering 12 MPH! There is a term called mouse-trapping that is common to forklift rollovers. Just think about that for a sec... the belt will keep you safely in the seat and it works really well.

For most "normal" accidents, a seat belt will protect you from most injuries that could be sustained. Nothing is perfect but they do what they should and that's keep you in the vehicle.

I put depends though, some vehicles I own don't have them. But a few have been retrofitted. The model T won't go fast enough to matter, besides the fact that it's merely a wooden frame with sheet metal tacked to it! There isn't much to them, o_O and a belt wouldn't do much for you.

Last edited:

I always wear my seatbelt, have had too many accidents and walked away from them to not believe in them. I do have a hard time getting my wife to wear them, though she is getting better about it. Every time she puts her feet up on the dash I remind her of what an airbag would do to her if it went off right now.

I had an accident in 1997 when I wrecked my own car, alone. I killed the car(91 LSC SE), a telephone poll in the left door hinge, and stepped out of the sunroof. With minor injuries I credit God for me being here, not the seat belts or luck. I still wear them as much as possible today. Regards,

I read about your accident with great interest. Replace "LSC SE" with "85 Z28" and "telephone pole" with "tree" and "sunroof" with "T-Tops" and I had the exact same accident. LOL Had to pick bark out of my face, and even had to take my shoes off to get out of the car (the shoes were pinned by the pedals). Yes, I was wearing a seatbelt. The police officer said I shouldn't be breathing, let alone walking.

I fell asleep driving an 85 S10 Blazer and rolled it into a ditch and on its side. seat belt saved me.
I hit a 12 point buck with a 97 Tbird at highway speed (he jumped in front of me from no where). Seat belt saved me (air bag scared the crap out of me. LOL)

I just don't feel comfortable without one. I've worn one since I was a teen and you had to either buckle the shoulder harness and lap belt individually or you had to snap the shoulder belt into the lap belt buckle. trust me seat belts have gotten better over the years but I have always used them.

In college I did a research paper on them and I concur with what has been said about belts keeping drivers in place to help them control the car.

Hitting water at most driving speeds is like hitting a wall. You want to be buckled in because if you are knocked out, you won't be getting out of the car period, seat belt or not.

Back