• Register Today It's free!

Dome Light switch leaking

SteveCM

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
My 02 explorer's dome light switch near the moon roof is leaking water during heavy rain through the light switches. I did see one other thread on here about this, but they just suggested taking it to the dealer. Any ideas where the leak is coming from and how to fix it?

How does one go about removing the dome light/moon roof switch panel? I'm assuming a drain for the moon roof is leaking, but I have never seen this before. I have no clue how to fix this...

Thanks
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know the answer to your question, but last winter I had a situation were we drove the car, condensation built up on the glass, then while the car was parked, it froze. The next time we drove it a few hours later, it melted and dripped down through the switches.

The dome light panel just pulls straight down.
Spring clips hold it up in place.
Start by the windshield and get your fingers up between the headliner and panel and pry down, you'll feel it start to move.

Also, open the moon roof. and stand up in it.
Look around for the drain holes. Are they clogged? I think hoses are connected to them that go down the windshield pillar. With the moon roof open you should be able to use a bucket of water to see if they are clear, or to fill up the Chanel around the roof weatherstripping to see if you can find the leak.

I tore down the roof liner and watched to see where the leak was coming from. It was coming from the front right moon roof drain, and the water was traveling along an electrical wire down to the light switch. I blew it out with a high powered compressed air line, and it seems to have worked!

Steve

Thats great news! :thumbsup:

The dome light panel just pulls straight down.
Spring clips hold it up in place.
Start by the windshield and get your fingers up between the headliner and panel and pry down, you'll feel it start to move.

Also, open the moon roof. and stand up in it.
Look around for the drain holes. Are they clogged? I think hoses are connected to them that go down the windshield pillar. With the moon roof open you should be able to use a bucket of water to see if they are clear, or to fill up the Chanel around the roof weatherstripping to see if you can find the leak.

This article helped me out a lot. So, I decided to join and discuss what me problem was.

I followed the instructions and opened my sunroof and inspected. I found the drain hole on the passenger side (my leak was coming from the passenger side some light switch). I poured a glass of water into the drain hole and it started leaking from the vanity mirror mounts.

I removed the roof liner to find the drain tube detached from the connector on the drain hole. I simply reconnected the two parts and problem fixed! Took me a half hour and very little tools: Philips and flat head screwdriver and 3 mm socket.

Probably saved me a couple hundred bucks!

Thanks all!

Back