Don't forget to RESET your OIL LIFE! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Don't forget to RESET your OIL LIFE!

RiccoFX

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 SportTrac Limited V8
Don't forget to reset your OIL LIFE, since when your OIL LIFE becomes less than 10%, it ALSO limits your POWER to about 75-80% and lowers your rev limiter to about 4500rpm!!! I know this because this had happened to me and as soon as I reset the OIL LIFE % it instantly got all the power back! From factory it does this so you don't run FULL power on dirty oil, so your engine can last longer! Just rememeber to reset it when you get you oil changed, since most places don't do that for you.

Also the factory setup limits your standing acceleration/takeoff, gives you only like 60-70% max throttle until you start to move and it'll gradually increase as you go, hence to make smoother take-offs and makes the drivetrain last longer. Thats why if you're moving and going about 15-20Kph and then floor it you'll notice a harder takeoff then standing still because you're moving and the system will then give you near full throttle, just limits you're takeoff from stop, and also softer shifting for smoother shifts. You can fix this with a Custom TUNE like SCT!

Thats why it feels unlike a V8 compared to normal vehicles at take-off because of this limiter!

All these nifty perks from Ford to make the engine and drivetrain last longer is cool, but most ppl don't know about this and are surprised when it seems not as powerful as they might think!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that is good to know. thanks for sharing.

I never knew that, thanks.

So it wasn't my imagination?
I thought it ran better when I reset my "Oil Change"!!

I didn't know about this feature. I changed my oil after I bought the Explorer used. ( I always change all the fluids when I buy a used vehicle)
The "Change Oil" screen came on and I still have 3000 miles to go before the next change. I just kept hitting reset each time I started it until I could read the book on how to reset it.
I was noticing a loss of power and decided it was time to change the plugs (70,000 miles on my 2006 EB) After changing the plugs and wires plus installing a K&N air filter with a MAF clean (I used MAF cleaner) it didn't seem to make much difference. I attributed it to the ECU learn and was waiting for it to relearn the new maps. I finally read the book and reset the "Change Oil" and then the engine felt more powerful.
I again just attributed it to ECU learn.

Go figure, learn something new everyday.

Well, everything I've done is not to avail, I have an almost completely tuned vehicle now. I still have to change the fuel filter yet. Just waiting for my fuel filter tool to show up from Harbor Freight.

My question is this.

Does the "Change Oil" come on after 5000 kms or does it have some kind of "self tester" built in? I have reset mine when i was nowhere close to an oil change.......I usually change it every 7000 kms regarless if it tells me to or not. Your thoughts?

My question is this.

Does the "Change Oil" come on after 5000 kms or does it have some kind of "self tester" built in? I have reset mine when i was nowhere close to an oil change.......I usually change it every 7000 kms regarless if it tells me to or not. Your thoughts?

You can set it for 100%, which is about 7500 miles or 6 months, or 80%, 70%, and so on.

I bought my ST used and it did not come with a owners manual. How do you re-set it?
Believe me it's been a PITA with out it.

I bought my ST used and it did not come with a owners manual. How do you re-set it?

If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

My question is this.

You can customly change the "Change Oil Life" to come on at whatever intervals you want as a percentage remaining, being 100% = 10,000kms. So basically if you set it your oil life start level to 30% it'll remind you to change at 3000km, 50% for 5000km and 70% for 7000km, and so on.

You do not have to follow this or wait for this to tell you, you can change your oil at any time, just make sure to reset or change it so it won't drop below 10% and limit you power... and also be smart about when you do change your oil, don't just reset it without changing oil to make it go away, the more frequent you change the oil, the longer and better your engine will last, which also goes in hand how hard you drive it too!

Press the menu button until it shows "System Check" and press the reset button to select it, and then it'll start out by telling you your oil life, at that point press and HOLD the reset button to reset the level. You can change the intervals at whcih point you want it to remind you as well in the setup oil life settings that I just described

So it wasn't my imagination?
I thought it ran better when I reset my "Oil Change"!!

I didn't know about this feature. I changed my oil after I bought the Explorer used. ( I always change all the fluids when I buy a used vehicle)
The "Change Oil" screen came on and I still have 3000 miles to go before the next change. I just kept hitting reset each time I started it until I could read the book on how to reset it.
I was noticing a loss of power and decided it was time to change the plugs (70,000 miles on my 2006 EB) After changing the plugs and wires plus installing a K&N air filter with a MAF clean (I used MAF cleaner) it didn't seem to make much difference. I attributed it to the ECU learn and was waiting for it to relearn the new maps. I finally read the book and reset the "Change Oil" and then the engine felt more powerful.
I again just attributed it to ECU learn.

Go figure, learn something new everyday.

Well, everything I've done is not to avail, I have an almost completely tuned vehicle now. I still have to change the fuel filter yet. Just waiting for my fuel filter tool to show up from Harbor Freight.

They should have had this mentioned in the manual! Alot of people do not know about this feature, smart on Ford, but for people who do not know, it kinda sucks when you need the power and aren't getting it and don't know why.

I found out by racing my buddy home sometimes after work for fun, always beating him big time! Until one day it didn't take off as hard, and the rpm was heavily limited too, and he kicked my butt big time... thought something was up. I knew the oil change reminder came up, but its not until the 10% point is when the power limiter kicks in. Confused I check everything on what was going wrong, then finally just out of curiousity I reseted the OIL LIFE and voila immediately got the power take off and higher rev limiter back. Then race my buddy the next day and whooped his ass as usual! LOL :D

Dude on another board claims to have a contact in Ford and ran it by him. Got told that type of programming is not in the ST computer. Take it for what it's worth.
I've been stretching my oil changes out and getting UOA's, I'll pay closer attention the next time the Change Oil Light comes on. Which will be a while.

I didn't know that. thanks for the information.

I have not seen this with my Sport Trac. I am getting close to oil change now and the reminder came on Friday driving home from work. I am a pretty aggresive driver and did not notice any difference in performance. I will be taking it in to have the oil changed this week.....I will ask one of the service guys if this is a feature of the programming.

Ref. the oil change indicator, I believe there is also a function that sets the light off ref. time between changes. Mine will sit in the garage for extended periods with a fresh oil change, and when it comes time to drive, the oil change light is on....with only a couple of hundred miles on the change.
Just an observation....

Ref. the oil change indicator, I believe there is also a function that sets the light off ref. time between changes. Mine will sit in the garage for extended periods with a fresh oil change, and when it comes time to drive, the oil change light is on....with only a couple of hundred miles on the change.
Just an observation....

The light will come on at whatever mileage interval you set OR 6 months, whichever comes first. Last year for the first time I set mine for 100% (7500 miles), the light came on at 6500 miles and exactly 6 months after I last changed the oil.

I hate to be the only one to dispute this, but I've never heard of this before. Are there any documents or statistics to show that this really happens? I'm not trying to call anybody a liar, I was just wondering where this information came from

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My indicator just changed to Oil Change needed status a few weeks ago and I just kept resetting it since the actual miles between changes showed it wasn't actually due and I noticed it seemed sluggish over tha last few weeks and i reset mine to 100% today after reading this thread. Lo and behold, it does run better. I thought my K&N FIPK filter was getting clogged and was struggling for air until I reset it and now it runs better and smoother. it is either like RiccoFX said or it has been 'healed' from last night's Supermoon. Either way, it runs better this afternoon. :thumbsup:

Back