Don't spill soft drink in center console! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Don't spill soft drink in center console!

interceptor06

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Explorer Limited
I went through a drive through shortly after getting my new '06 Limited. I grabbed the lemonade with one hand and the lid popped off. About half of it spilled in the cupholder in the center console. I have had that shifter apart about 10 times since to clean it out. The stickiness goes away for a while, but seems to always come back. Every time I shift, the shifter gets stuck from the sticky pop. It seems to make a $45K rig feel like a piece of junk every time I have to shift from park to drive or reverse.

Moral of the story, don't spill a drink in the center console!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

!!! :( so sorry!

I know(somewhat) what your talking about! my 1st day with it.. i hit a bump and I spilt some water.. i freaked! but it was not as bad as yours :(

-- Sal

Moral of this story.........if you must have something to drink in your rig, make sure it's in a bottle so you can cap it. :D

Yeah that shifter design is just WAITING to have crap spilled in it, I know i have spilled SOME coffee, but certainly not the disaster you have going on.

That sucks dude, hope it clears soon.

I just bought a 2006 lease vehicle. So far I like it a lot. I did however have trouble several time getting the shifter out of Park.

I took it to the dealer to have it looked at. The mechanic couldn't reproduce the issue and neither could I while I was there. A few days later it started acting up again. I found that if I clicked the index finger button on the shifter while giggling the shifter it would move into Drive.

A few days ago I went to install a AUX input module for my GPS/MP3 player. When I pulled the center consol to gain access to the radio I noticed a sticky mess under the chrome shifter bezel. After reading this thread I'm thinking you solved my shifting problem. What did you use to clean the mechanism?

By the way, I also learned the PIE FRD04-AUX has an issue in it that does not let it work with most of the '06 Explorer radios. But that's another story.

:banghead:

I used Qtips and hot water to get into the small spaces. It still sticks during the first drive of the day. My wife just deals with it. I should just replace the whole unit.

Back