Door ajar idiot light won't turn off despite all doors being securely closed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar idiot light won't turn off despite all doors being securely closed

JRock23

Reaction score
City, State
PENSACOLA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xls
the door ajar lamp illuminates even though the doors are all closed. Where are the sensors for the doors located, and is there a fuse that controls this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not had this issue myself but understand the door switches are on the latch mechanism inside the doors. Make sure that both rear hatches are closed. I inadvertently hit the upper hatch button on my key fob once. Drove me crazy until I found the problem.

I don't know of a fuse for them, but it's best to read for a code to tell you which door if it's not a fuse. If you do a search on this site, you'll find other comments about 'door ajar'. I purchased a Napa switch for my drivers door one, and it didn't work. Maybe the dealer is the best place to buy them. Other parts suppliers didn't have replacement switches.

Not uncommon. Spray some lubricant on each of the door latches. Had this happen on ours a few years back. Sprayed some PB Blaster lube, problem solved.

I second what gtyates said. I had the same issue when I bought my Explorer and a little PB blaster straightened it out.

I have used WD-40 on the latches on my Ranger when it did this and it worked.

Get in , turn your motor on. Turn your dash light dimmer switch to the off position (make sure it "clicks"). Turn your dimmer switch back on (make sure it doesn't click at the top or you will have to do it all over again). This should turn off the door ajar light off. It won't solve the problem but...

Having this issue had the vehicle scanned and found out bad relay unplugged it and jumped the plug wires with paperclip to get it to shut up till the new relay thats what it called not a switch comes in from rock auto. Relay or switch can be removed from the latch assembly .

the door ajar lamp illuminates even though the doors are all closed. Where are the sensors for the doors located, and is there a fuse that controls this?
Hello,
If you've tried everything that's been mentioned then allow me to point out that this is a common problem with gen 3 Explorers, Mountaineers, & Navigators. I recently fixed this same problem. In order to correct this problem you will need to take the inside door panel off the driver's side door (there are some really good videos on YouTube) & gently peel back the piece of foam, then locate the main wiring harness between the 2 hinges. Pull back the rubber boot & gently push it into the door. Now search through the wires & if you find a thin black wire(20-22 ga.I think) that is broke then you've found your problem. Usually it will be broke right in the middle of that bundle of wires. When Ford designed the wiring harness they didn't make that black wire long enough to allow for the door to fully open & over time that wire weakens & ultimately breaks. It's an easy fix but getting that boot out of your way is the hardest part. As I stated before there are some really good videos to help walk you through the necessary steps. Best of luck,

When I got my 04 Explorer none of the Windows worked and the door agar issue you have. Previous owner put in a new switch and had no change.

When I got it home first thing I did was pushed the boot into the door and found lots of broken wires. I added 1 inch to each wire using crimp on butt connectors.

Next day after shift I put down all the Windows. Previous owner who bought it with the condition and had it for 2 years was amazed in one day it was fixed.

Long way to say that you don't need to pull the door panel to check and fix the broken wire/s that you will find.

Hello,
If you've tried everything that's been mentioned then allow me to point out that this is a common problem with gen 3 Explorers, Mountaineers, & Navigators. I recently fixed this same problem. In order to correct this problem you will need to take the inside door panel off the driver's side door (there are some really good videos on YouTube) & gently peel back the piece of foam, then locate the main wiring harness between the 2 hinges. Pull back the rubber boot & gently push it into the door. Now search through the wires & if you find a thin black wire(20-22 ga.I think) that is broke then you've found your problem. Usually it will be broke right in the middle of that bundle of wires. When Ford designed the wiring harness they didn't make that black wire long enough to allow for the door to fully open & over time that wire weakens & ultimately breaks. It's an easy fix but getting that boot out of your way is the hardest part. As I stated before there are some really good videos to help walk you through the necessary steps. Best of luck,
+1
I had to do this on my 04. I actually had two broken wires. It is a tedious job, not much room to work. Pack some patience and this will get you fixed up.

Back