• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar issue "fixed"

lincolnshibuya

Reaction score
City, State
kc mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mercury mountaineer
A couple weeks ago my wife complained that the map light (and puddle lamps) doesn't go off when locking. It only turns off after the battery saver shuts it off. I accidentally forgot to turn off the auto lights one day when I have it parked inside the garage and drained the battery. Using the $5 battery tender from harbor freight I was able to charge it back overnight after repeated failed attempts of jump starting it.

Quick way to figure out which door is bad is to simply turn on the truck and open the door one by one and check for door chime or door ajar message, the one door that doesn't make the chime or door ajar message is the culprit. So I concluded that the door ajar switch is bad, a common issue. When I took the switch out it's still in very good condition and no wd40 could fix the issue. It's shorted, somehow the spring can't expand anymore that even at an uncompressed position it's still making contact. I looked at the price for the switch at the parts store and they are ridiculously expensive on the passenger side about $60, luckily I was able to find one in Amazon using the part # for $15 and it's the new Motorcraft part (not metal) Took the actuator out and replace it and everything worked..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5HTV6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

18057165_1320909951310486_2966340447531065113_n.jpg

18056744_1320910007977147_2917235555676866832_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried taking mine out when it was acting up but nothing I did would get it lose from the door. Luckily mine was fixed with some penetrating lube and it's been fine every since.

Wouldn't connecting those two wires fix your problem as well?
I mean, the door does actually close good, right?
Too much many nanny state nonsense!

For the explorers disconnecting the plug will fix the issue, it's the exact opposite on my Navigator/Expedition putting a jumper wire fixes the issue temporarily (all switches are bad but the driver side).

The door locks but since the switch is always on it thinks it's still unlocked, I've seen some of these switches break into 2 (metal and plastic separated) and that pin corroded with rust. I think the new all plastic design is better than the metal.

my 02 has been doing this for about 4 years i just squirt a heavy dose of WD40 on the latch open and close the door 4/5 times and im good for about a year or so

Back