• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar Issue

FordFan45662

Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok just picked up a 2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 4x4. The door ajar light was on the dash. I sprayed lube in every door latch, and opened and closed the doors several times. That didnt work. I went to Google and found that they have problems with broken wires in the driver door boot. I found 3 broken wires (2 for passenger window and a purple black wire). I fixed those wires. I noticed that when I shut the truck off the radio stays on until I open the door. You would think if it thinks a door is "open" it would shut off when I shut the engine off. I am stumped and dont know what else to look at. I have looked at the wires in the driver kick panel and didnt see an issue there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, the Door Ajar Light is still on after you fixed the wires?

Yes sir it is .I'm good with car electronics but this has me stumped

Ok just picked up a 2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 4x4. The door ajar light was on the dash. I sprayed lube in every door latch, and opened and closed the doors several times. That didnt work. I went to Google and found that they have problems with broken wires in the driver door boot. I found 3 broken wires (2 for passenger window and a purple black wire). I fixed those wires. I noticed that when I shut the truck off the radio stays on until I open the door. You would think if it thinks a door is "open" it would shut off when I shut the engine off. I am stumped and dont know what else to look at. I have looked at the wires in the driver kick panel and didnt see an issue there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
that is normal for ford radios to stay on until door is opened..in my experience...enjoy the tunes.

I noticed that when I shut the truck off the radio stays on until I open the door. You would think if it thinks a door is "open" it would shut off when I shut the engine off.

2003 Ford Explorer Owners Manual (Page 53)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/03expog5e.pdf
Accessory delay

With accessory delay, the window switches and audio system may be used for up to ten minutes after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position or until any door is opened.

Yes sir it is .I'm good with car electronics but this has me stumped

That is strange. I know the radio and power windows will work until you open the door like @swshawaii said, but the door ajar light should have turned off when the key is turned and the doors are closed. The car responding to you opening the door and the radio turning off leads me to think that your door ajar sensor is not at fault, but I'm no expert. When my door ajar light stayed on I replaced it with a sensor from a junkyard car, and a year later I have not had any issues with it.

I am going to try a new sensor in the driver door tomorrow. Ive asked a ford mechanic and they are stumped too.

If the radio turns off with the opening of the drivers door, I’d be led to believe that the “door ajar” is coming from another door.

Open each door and see if one of them doesn’t kill the radio. Not sure if the hatch kills the radio.

both rear doors didnt shut the radio off when i tried it today so I am going to check them next

if you ever have a problem with you explorer check out the Ford tech, he probably has a video on it!

I'm still stumped. Don't know what to check next

I had the same "Door Ajar" problem with my '96. I dropped by the local Ford dealer and a technician said spray WD40 in and around mechanism, especially where sensors are to clean the connections. She said it might take a few tries. Mine happened to be rear glass latch. If you have access to an air tank and a long air nozzle you might be able to blow it clean.

I had the same "Door Ajar" problem with my '96. I dropped by the local Ford dealer and a technician said spray WD40 in and around mechanism, especially where sensors are to clean the connections. She said it might take a few tries. Mine happened to be rear glass latch. If you have access to an air tank and a long air nozzle you might be able to blow it clean.

I will second this fix...as it worked for me. You may want to open and close doors a bunch to loosen it the sensors. Drivers key pad started working correctly again. Amazing how the car thinks your door is open.
Just a note my explorer was an estate buy and was sitting a little while before I bought it. I think that was the contributor to this issue.

Back