• Register Today It's free!

Door Latch Assembly

flippersaurus

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
So, wound up with an issue where I couldn't unlock my driver side door from the outside.

So, I took the door panel off, and started in on the door latch assembly. Once i had the assembly loose, I realized that a spring inside the latch is either broken, or had simply come off it's stantions.

Anyways, I now have a mess... there are so many littls bars and actuators and plungers running into the latch assembly, some of which I've unhooked, some of which I haven't been able to yet (namely the one from the power lock actuator.)

And you can never really see what you're working on, as there's so much sheet metal on the inside of the door.... it's all a mess... I'm 90% of the way to packing all the parts up, taking it to the dealer, and just having them finish the job.

Anyone have any suggestions/done this before?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your original problem is very common. The easyest way to fix it is to replace the latch. The dealer should have it in stock. Next remove the passenger side pannel and use that as a template to reassemble.

When putting the rod for the exterior door handle back on... be sure to push the rod up all the way up onto the door handle. then snap it on to the latch assemble. Other than that everything should line right up. Be patient and take your time...

Jeff

mine did this friday i am waiting till i get to the dealer to buy a new latch and that link didnt work

use a small mirror to see around stuff and if need be, take the door cover off the other door to use it as assembly "reference".

i got same problem with my 2001 explorer sport 2dr. Dealer wants like $50.00 for the part and 150 to install it. I hope i can handle this...
Anyone know what tools i will need?

latch problems

I am somewhat having the same problems with my driver door. I have to cycle the power lock a few times before it will open. I took my door apart and took out the retaining screws that held in actual latch. It worked like normal when it swung freely in the door, but not when I installed it back in the correct position. :frustrate. When I took it apart, I found a spring in the door jamb. I don't know if it is from the lock or from the door handle set up (which is also stuck in open postion due to a friend pulling to hard on it). Let me know how it goes or where you can buy one (if other than the dealer).

I had the same thing... A piece of the spring in the door... Some people have repaied the latch. If you do a search you should be able to find the thread. I opted to just replace the latch assembly. It took a hour or so. All you need are simple tools. Screw drivers and a basic socket set.

I do remember another trick to make it easer... With the window up all the way remove the track. That will give you a little bit more room to see what you are doing...

Yep do what ^^^^ said. I did this today and only took about 30 miniutes and $58.00 later for the new assembly and plastic retainers for the door panel.

Thanks for the advice djstatix I am guessing you bought it at the Ford dealer?

yeah. could not find it any where else.

Can't get the latch out!!!

I don't know how you guys do it, but I cannot get the latch out. I read through mikeh's post (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113217&page=2&pp=20) but still cannot get the rods out. No matter what way I twist, nothing will budge. For example, the rod that goes to the handle doesn't seem to have enough room to manuver back and forth. I am about ready to cut off the little metal pieces where the rods connect on the latch. How do you guys do it? I think I have looked at it from every angle, but nothing comes to me. I have spent about 4 hours total on it so far. Thanks in advance.

Anybody have any ideas to the above question?^^^^^^^

There is a little lip on the plastic piece that will unsnap with a little pressure from a flat head screwdriver. Somtimes it is a little difficult but they will unsnap and the rod will fall right out.

jp450 said:
There is a little lip on the plastic piece that will unsnap with a little pressure from a flat head screwdriver. Somtimes it is a little difficult but they will unsnap and the rod will fall right out.

Thanks for the tip. If that does not work, out comes the Saw Zall!!!

Is the 97 setup different from the 98? On my 98, there were two screws to release the interior handle which allowed me to release the rod.

When I did my latch replacement, I gained some additional real estate inside the door by removing the track that the window rides in. Disconnecting the power door lock actuator also allowed more "wiggle" room when reconnecting the rods at the latch.

stubborn1 said:
Is the 97 setup different from the 98? On my 98, there were two screws to release the interior handle which allowed me to release the rod.

When I did my latch replacement, I gained some additional real estate inside the door by removing the track that the window rides in. Disconnecting the power door lock actuator also allowed more "wiggle" room when reconnecting the rods at the latch.

I ended up just cutting one of the parts off. I couldn't figure out how to get the rod off without doing it. Got it done, though.

Back