• Register Today It's free!

Door trim panels fading

ZeroAviation

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Can this be fixed? The tops of my door trim panels are fading (see pictures) and turning white.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
-Matt

IMG_20150207_130136.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had mine dyed at a interior shop that basically painted them with a matching color. Then have the windows tinted, that will help protect from further issues. You could try the parts store route and probably get a close match.

Same issue here. Problem is, every salvage yard I've checked won't separate the trim panels without the door. :(

BTW, cleaning them with anything abrasive seems to accelerate the fading. Tried a Magic Eraser, big mistake. :thumbdwn:

I have the same thing going on with my door panels and was wondering the same thing, definately need to tint the front windows.

Mine are also faded, and have a slight window tint. All are the grey color panels.

Probably a combo of the sun, oils/chemicals from our skin, and the composition of the pigments in the plastic. Doomed to fade.

Memories of my 1974 Oldsmobile with the white interior. The white plastic actually rotted and crumbled, the black lasted.

Interesting... Thanks for the reply guys! I will see if I can find some local interior shops who can fix it.... and it look decent.

Its hard to find replacements in good shape to.

Cheers,
-Matt

Using armorall wipes or black magic (some protectant with UV blocker in it) will help to slow this down. I used it for years on mine and it kept the plastic from cracking and fading. Not to mention it's nice to have a clean interior. The truck has turned into a dedicated trail rig in the last year and the cleanings stopped and now mine is starting to fade slightly.

Well I have to get a torch soon for the body mounts, so I'll eventually give this a try. Better than trying to dye or paint imo

Good call on the heat gun/torch. Ive seen that a few times to renew wiper cowls and other trim.

I am shocked... I just bought a heat gun, and gave it a go... Thumbs up!

Cheers guys!
-Matt

Heat gun yes. I'd be scared to use a torch and I've done quite a few.

Back