Door weatherstripping replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door weatherstripping replacement

The howling sound of wind and road noise leaking past tattered old weatherstripping finally drove me to remedy the situation. The front passenger door of my ’99 has been leaking air like a window screen in a hurricane and the resulting noise required attention, immediate attention.

The front passenger door weatherstripping had seen better days. I obtained the door weather stripping ( part number F1TZ7820708C
) from my local Ford dealer for $41.00.

The first step was removal of the old weatherstripping. This was accomplished by first loosening the plastic trim components ( no need to remove ) and then simply pulling the old weatherstripping free.

The new weatherstripping was simply put into the metal on the body around the door. I started at the center of the bottom of the door so the joint would be in that location. The weatherstripping was worked into place all around the door.

This incredibly simple task took all of 10 minutes including loosening/securing the plastic trim.

A road test proved the worth of this project. Next step will be to replace all the other door and liftgate weatherstripping.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 9,014
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 7,409
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 7,256
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 7,414

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the quick replies

I try to avoid the "stealer"ships, but with all this information, I am sure I can find what I need at a reasonable price!

Thanks again - good to know if I ever have something I can't find or figure out, I have a forum for additional information!

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to do this repair on both front doors.

How did you loosen the interior panels to access the black weatherstriping?

Did you just pry on it with a trim removal tool?

Front and back doors weatherstrip

I need to replace all 4 doors weatherstrip and the part number for front are
F1TZ-7820708-C, rear door are the same part number with letter D at the end instead of C, some people say they are exactly the same so can I buy all as F1TZ-7820708-C for all 4 doors? The reason is because the rear doors are discontinued parts.

thanks in advance

rockauto.com carries them all.

rockauto.com carries them all.

So does JC Whitney.com. I'm about to replace the driver's side weatherstripping on my '94 Explorer Sport. Figured I'd look on the site to get tips. Hope it is as easy as you all say.

I know this is an OLD thread but if it helps anyone... I replaced my drivers door weather seal, that is attached to the body of door opening for $25 from Amazon. Took maybe 15 minutes. Length was about 18" longer than original, and easy to trim, so it is enough to do any of the 4 doors on the Sport-Trac. Only downside(temporary) is it is more stiff than original, after 18 year old strip that I removed. Door takes firm hard pressure to fully latch shut. I just installed it today, so I imagine that after being compressed in the closed door for awhile, it will flatten out like the old one was, and things will close easier. Part # at Amazon was Fairchild F3031. Hope someone finds this info useful, I had to "Chance it". lol

Rock Auto has the door weatherstrip in kits for pairs of the doors, front or rear. I only priced and bought the front pair, I think they were under $30 total. They felt about like the originals to me.

Yes but this is for Sport Trac, and they only listed up to 2001 that I could see. Was just trying to share info. If your info\part is the same part, than that is a great deal for a pair for both sides of the 2002 Sport Trac!

You did well to share that information, the Sport Trac is not the same as the 4dr's. They might be very close, but it's best to have a longer weatherstrip than needed, as you know. As they age, the seals shrink, and have gaps of 1/2" or more. Try to find the rear hatch seal for the 91-01's, those nobody makes, the last I looked. Regards,

I know this is an OLD thread but if it helps anyone... I replaced my drivers door weather seal, that is attached to the body of door opening for $25 from Amazon. Took maybe 15 minutes. Length was about 18" longer than original, and easy to trim, so it is enough to do any of the 4 doors on the Sport-Trac. Only downside(temporary) is it is more stiff than original, after 18 year old strip that I removed. Door takes firm hard pressure to fully latch shut. I just installed it today, so I imagine that after being compressed in the closed door for awhile, it will flatten out like the old one was, and things will close easier. Part # at Amazon was Fairchild F3031. Hope someone finds this info useful, I had to "Chance it". lol
Excellent info since most ST body parts and panels were discontinued long ago. Many say salvage yards, but ALL scrapped ST's are approaching 20 years old. Hope the Fairchild F3031 weatherstripping continues to be a long term solution. Thanks!

Door & Components for 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Back